BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I love this forum. It has been a deciding factor in my decision to go the ED route. So thank you. :thumbup:

I have a small dilemma. I'm picking up my 135 coupe on Thursday the 15 of May and plan to drive to Nürburgring on Friday, do a few laps on Saturday and drive back to Munich on Sunday. But of course I would like to enjoy some scenic driving and sites to and from and also break-in the car before driving on the ring.

Would you please recommend the best route to take to Nürburgring for break-in? Thank you. :)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Well, Neuschwanstein is on the alpine strasse, so you can do those two.

Personally, I plan on driving in the alps for two weeks before heading towards the ring. Its a long way from bavaria though.

Here is the alpinestrasse courtesy of Alfred!
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=d&hl=d...=47.368594,11.464233&spn=1.614666,2.91687&z=8

Neuschwandstein is near Füssen - that is K on the map

If you are doing the Alpinestrasse, you certainly should do a detour to the GrossGlockner

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! For some reason I misplaced the Castle. Sorry. The title should have been 'what is the best route to the Nürburgring and back for break-in and scenery' when you only have one day to drive there and one day to drive back.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Maybe you meant romantischestrasse. It might be easier just to hop on the Autobahn and head to the Ring though (given your time constraints). If you want to do more driving, there are some nice roads there, and along the Mosel & Rhein some pretty views and castles.

Alpinestrasse is the wrong direction.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe you meant romantischestrasse. It might be easier just to hop on the Autobahn and head to the Ring though (given your time constraints). If you want to do more driving, there are some nice roads there, and along the Mosel & Rhein some pretty views and castles.

Alpinestrasse is the wrong direction.
Thanks chaz58. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take the long route to break-in the car. Driving straight only puts around 600 km on the car. According to Google.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't worry about it.

If you are only at the Ring for a day, I wouldn't worry about putting lots of miles on the car just to break it in. Just do WOT till 4.5k rpm, and you wouldn't have a problem running out of speed in 6th gear or failing the breakin rule. Unless you have been to the track before, even with hundreds of laps on PS2 or XBOX, I seriously doubt you will be bored with the experience while short shifting. Have a great time at the Ring, especially looking at all the expensive toys in the parking lot!

Thanks chaz58. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take the long route to break-in the car. Driving straight only puts around 600 km on the car. According to Google.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great advice, I did a "hard" break in with my car and the engine sounds and runs better than any other 335's I've driven. Avoid redlining the car the first few k's but aggressive with the throttle and never cruise at one speed. Make sure the engine gets exercise in all RPM range and you'll ensure the piston rings seal properly. "Factory Freaks" don't come that way out of the factory, it depends on how you break it in. That's my theory.

If you are only at the Ring for a day, I wouldn't worry about putting lots of miles on the car just to break it in. Just do WOT till 4.5k rpm, and you wouldn't have a problem running out of speed in 6th gear or failing the breakin rule. Unless you have been to the track before, even with hundreds of laps on PS2 or XBOX, I seriously doubt you will be bored with the experience while short shifting. Have a great time at the Ring, especially looking at all the expensive toys in the parking lot!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your advice. THIS FORUM ROCKS!

See you at the Ring!

:drive::thumbup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I drove the Alpenstrasse earlier this week and fully recommend it, it is an incredible drive. I puts the car through its paces, several hundred switchbacks in several sections, elevation gain and loss and some nice straight stretches but you won't be able to do anything like you can on the Autobahn. I think it would be a good warm up for the Ring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I drove the Alpenstrasse earlier this week and fully recommend it, it is an incredible drive. I puts the car through its paces, several hundred switchbacks in several sections, elevation gain and loss and some nice straight stretches but you won't be able to do anything like you can on the Autobahn. I think it would be a good warm up for the Ring.
Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to drive part of the Alpenstarasse. If I don't do it on my way to the Ring I'll do it on my way back on Sunday. Getting to the Ring early on Friday though may give me the chance to get a lap before the weekend crowd. But on the other hand as you said driving on the Alpenstrasse will get both myself and the car warmed up. :D I don't know yet. May decide just before I leave Munich...I just got a hotel yesterday so I'm good at procrastinating. ;)

What section of the Alpenstrasse did you drive?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The drive from Muenchen to the Ring is going to be boring if you want to make it there in one day with time to spare to run the track. I suggest north on A7, pick up A6 west, then A61 north...that will bring you pretty close on main roads. A6 traffic is bad on weekdays near the A6/A81 kruez because of road works. If you want autobahn time, drive it on Sundays...trucks are almost all off the road by law.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What section of the Alpenstrasse did you drive?
I drove all of it from Lindau to Salzburg with a one day stop in Hohenschwangau to see Neuschwanstein. Total driving time including a few breaks over the two days was about 11-12 hours.

If you want to do a short section of it take the Autobahn to Lindau and there is a short section of switchbacks that are absolutely incredible not too far off the Autobahn. Gorgeous views of rolling Bavarian hills in the area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts