BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
UK BMW *****!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first BMW and I finally have a car I want to spend some time on making look its best!

1. The previous owner was painting his house with white gloss and there are a few specks (1mm or less dots) on the roof and rear of the car.

When clean you can scratch them off with your hands/nails but I was wondering if claying would get rid of these a little easier?

2. What is the best way of preparing for claying the car? I have waxed it a couple of times so would need to remove this and get down to the clear coat.

Should I use TCut or something similar?

3. There is quite a bit of hazing and swirls on the paint in some areas of the car (mainly the boot/trunk) will claying then waxing get rid of these?

4. Is it better to use a colour wax (as the car is black) to fill in any tiny scratches?

and finally...

5. Is it better to hand wax, or use an electric rotary buffer?

Sorry if these are noob questions, but I'm very new to this and want to get it right, so thought I'd ask the experts! :) :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Some answers for you:

1. The previous owner was painting his house with white gloss and there are a few specks (1mm or less dots) on the roof and rear of the car.

When clean you can scratch them off with your hands/nails but I was wondering if claying would get rid of these a little easier?

yes you can clay the car it should remove the wet specks off easily if that doesn't work use

3m adhesive remover.

2. What is the best way of preparing for claying the car? I have waxed it a couple of times so would need to remove this and get down to the clear coat.

Just wash the car and make sure the surface is clean.

3. There is quite a bit of hazing and swirls on the paint in some areas of the car (mainly the boot/trunk) will claying then waxing get rid of these?

you will need to polish out the swirls and hazing.

if you do this by hand Einszett Extra and Einszett Paint Polish should do the trick.

4. Is it better to use a colour wax (as the car is black) to fill in any tiny scratches?

and finally...

you can use a glaze to fill the tiny scratches but why not try to polish them out.

wax is easy by hand or with an orbital machine it should be fine.

you should be asking yourself if you should use a machine to polish out the imperfections.

Take a look at these videos:
http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=3

LMK if you have anymore questions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just bought my first BMW and I finally have a car I want to spend some time on making look its best!

Should I use TCut or something similar?

and finally...

Sorry if these are noob questions, but I'm very new to this and want to get it right, so thought I'd ask the experts! :) :thumbup:
1) I would recommend using Stoner Tarminator for removing paint specs, in conjunction with a claybar if necessary. Tarminator works great at removing pretty much anything that is stuck to the paint. Gently claying WITH Tarminator can be extremely effective.

2) No need to prep for clay. Just give it a very thorough washing.

You can either wash and dry the car, pull it in a shaded area / garage and clay it in there, OR do a quicker method which I prefer.
- Wash the whole car, rinse it real good to make sure there is no dirt on the surface
- Use your soapy mitt to get a panel nice and slick
- clay that panel
- re-wash to remove any residue
- rinse
- repeat until the entire car is done, rinse and dry

I can typically wash and clay an entire car in under an hour using this method.

3) Washing, claying, or waxing will NOT remove hazing or swirls. If you are not experienced with a rotary buffer, I would not recommend using one. Your best bet would be to pick up a DA polisher such as a Porter Cable 7424 or Flex XC3401 (my personal favorite). If this is out of reach, you can get good results by hand, but be prepared for one hell of a workout. My recommendation would be to use 3M Scratch Remover or Meguiar's ScratchX; both work quite well by hand, but you HAVE to work it in, a lot.

4) Color waxes are a scam. If you want to enhance the shine and temporarily fill in swirls and minor defects, use a glaze such as Meguiar's #7 or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

5) There is no "better" way to wax. Some people prefer using high end waxes by hand (Pinnacle, Wolfgang), since it can be an enjoyable experience. If you want to use less product and get a more even, consistent shine, then I would recommend applying the wax with a DA polisher and a finishing (red, blue, or gray) pad. I would not recommend applying wax/sealant with a rotary as it is simply too powerful for such a simple task.

All of the above mentioned products can be found at our website www.autogeek.net :thumbup:

·
UK BMW *****!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help guys! I'm going to pickup a clay bar and get to work this week!

I'll post photos (or questions if I get stuck!) :)

Thanks,
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts