Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a JB4 (N20 EWG version) with the bluetooth adapter for my X1.

Today I tired doing a test install with everything just hanging loose to make sure everything works before doing the permanent installation.

I am able to connect with the mobile app and it allows me to change maps, but I am not getting a reading on any of the gauges when I start the car.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to start?

Also, how do I know what revision I have? I've tried setting it to Rev 2 (plug & play) and Rev 3.

The version I have does not have power and ground wires.

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lesson learned is that there is a separate X1/Z4 (at least the N20) version of the JB4 and you can't use the standard EWG version.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nope, actually just the cost of shipping. They guy I bought it from was willing to take it back and already has a new buyer. I will just ship it to the new buyer rather than back to the seller.

Now the question becomes do I want to buy a new X1 specific JB4 or stick with my Dinan Sport Tuner. On the X1 version CANbus attaches in the DME box, not the OBDII, which makes removal (for any CPO warranty service) more complex.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Nope, actually just the cost of shipping. They guy I bought it from was willing to take it back and already has a new buyer. I will just ship it to the new buyer rather than back to the seller.

Now the question becomes do I want to buy a new X1 specific JB4 or stick with my Dinan Sport Tuner. On the X1 version CANbus attaches in the DME box, not the OBDII, which makes removal (for any CPO warranty service) more complex.
how is the HP gain with the dinan. isnt it big bucks? have you considered the AFE scorcher ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how is the HP gain with the dinan. isnt it big bucks? have you considered the AFE scorcher ?
The sport is a simple single connection tune that adds about 30HP and runs around $300. You are thinking of the Dinan Stage 1 which runs almost $1600.

As for the scorcher, I'd be paying pretty close to what a JB4 costs but for something that has not built the reputation that the JB4 has (at least that I have seen). It may well be a great tune. But there is a reason that anytime you ask about BMW tunes the JB4 is always one of the most recommended methods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts