Bimmerfest BMW banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
228i is next for me but then again my son just turned 12 so no car seats to deal with. If you get real lucky perhaps they'll make a 2 GC.
I don't think I'll be that lucky. My youngest will be out of his Recaro in 4 years or so, maybe then I can look at coupes. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah.... both E90/F30 deserve a GM LS1/Ford Coyote V8 conversion like old Volvo of 30 years ago.... scr*w those 2.0Toys.
As much as I really like my N20 powered 320i, it is always a reality check when I take my LS1 powered GTO 6M and open it up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
As much as I really like my N20 powered 320i, it is always a reality check when I take my LS1 powered GTO 6M and open it up.
My 335i feels just as strong as my 6 speed LS2 GTO was doing 60-120 pulls.

I think the I6 turbo is a pretty sweet spot for power, efficiency (not that this is something I care about), and refinement.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My 335i feels just as strong as my 6 speed LS2 GTO was doing 60-120 pulls.
I have ridden in an Active Hybrid 3 and it is an awesomely powerful car and it pulls real strong on the highway, I am sure it would take my GTO.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
That is what you think when you wear pink glasses. Reality says otherwise.

You conveniently ignore the impact of the ZF8 + direct injection, silly you.
It doesn't matter, BMW was not going to redesign the N52 to add direct injection. They obviously saw it as a dead end. The ZF 8AT may have added 2 mpg.

·
Abuser of everything
3,521 Posts
It doesn't matter, BMW was not going to redesign the N52 to add direct injection. They obviously saw it as a dead end. The ZF 8AT may have added 2 mpg.
False.

They actually did and it was named N53. Fuel consumption to power ratio was very good. N20 won because of enviro-freak madness,

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
They did actually. It's been in Europe for many years. Look it up on Wikipedia if you want. I think it had something like 270 hp. I have no idea why they never brought it over here as it would have been a great engine for the 528i.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
They did actually. It's been in Europe for many years. Look it up on Wikipedia if you want. I think it had something like 270 hp. I have no idea why they never brought it over here as it would have been a great engine for the 528i.
Did not know that. Any info on consumption? I'm not sold that direct injection greatly improves fuel economy anyway. It's great for added power but look at the N54/55. In the E90 the fuel economy was middling. It's better in the F30 per the EPA but the engine is the same. The N20 gets good fuel economy due to the smaller displacement.

Also, I'd guess the N53 was not brought here as it was too close in HP to the N54/55.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
All it needed was *direct injection* and a more efficient automatic transmission.

Even the outgoing N52 in the 2011 528i consumed only 2mpg more than the 2012 528i with the 2.0Toy. This gap would have vapored with.... direct injection.
Bmw did that, it was the n53 for use in Europe. 275hp to boot but it actually got less mpg due to no valvetronic or vanos.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
Did not know that. Any info on consumption? I'm not sold that direct injection greatly improves fuel economy anyway. It's great for added power but look at the N54/55. In the E90 the fuel economy was middling. It's better in the F30 per the EPA but the engine is the same. The N20 gets good fuel economy due to the smaller displacement.

Also, I'd guess the N53 was not brought here as it was too close in HP to the N54/55.
Fuel consumption/emissions figures on N53B30 equipped E90 330i (MY 2008):
  • 9.9 l/100km urban
  • 5.6 l/100km extra-urban
  • 7.2 l/100km combined
  • Carbon dioxide emissions are 173 g/km
According to Paul Tan, N53 was never offered in North America - or in ASEAN countries - because of the high sulfur content in gasoline sold in those locales.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I think my inline six is just as sweet as a lower end Porsche flat 6. It's one of the finest motors ever built. Sounds simply incredible when it goes to redline, that's something you won't get from a turbo four. And it's the only reason I'm still driving the car - not the handling or anything else, it's the motor.
I'm not sure which "lower end Porsche flat 6" you're referring to, but there is nothing comparable about the N54 in my 335is to the 3.8L engine in my Porsche. The turbos get in the way of smooth responsive performance compared to that of a high revving NA engine.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I'm not sure which "lower end Porsche flat 6" you're referring to, but there is nothing comparable about the N54 in my 335is to the 3.8L engine in my Porsche. The turbos get in the way of smooth responsive performance compared to that of a high revving NA engine.
My car is the 235 hp normally aspirated six. Another amazing BMW engine was the big 3.8L six in the E34 M5. Those sound incredible.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Fuel consumption/emissions figures on N53B30 equipped E90 330i (MY 2008):
  • 9.9 l/100km urban
  • 5.6 l/100km extra-urban
  • 7.2 l/100km combined
  • Carbon dioxide emissions are 173 g/km
Mighty optimistic fuel consumption figures!!

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
Mighty optimistic fuel consumption figures!!
Those figures are based on NEDC (ECE-15 cycle x 4 plus EUDC cycle x 1), which does have a reputation for being optimistic.

For comparison, here are the NEDC figures for an N20 equipped F30 328i 6MT (MY 2014):

• 8.5 l/100km urban
  • 5.1 l/100km extra-urban
  • 6.4 l/100km combined
  • Carbon dioxide emissions are 149 g/km

·
Abuser of everything
3,521 Posts
Those figures are based on NEDC (ECE-15 cycle x 4 plus EUDC cycle x 1), which does have a reputation for being optimistic.

For comparison, here are the NEDC figures for an N20 equipped F30 328i 6MT (MY 2014):

• 8.5 l/100km urban
  • 5.1 l/100km extra-urban
  • 6.4 l/100km combined
  • Carbon dioxide emissions are 149 g/km
So the 2008 N53 has +10% more fuel consumption for +10-15% more power. Nice trade-off to me.

Now imagine if it had the ZF8.

·
Registered
521 Posts
To be honest, when I started shopping around last year I thought the 328 still had the inline six, which is a great engine and what I wanted. I was surprised to know that only 4-banger was offered in 328. For some romantic reason I love 6-cylinder engines, both inline and V. I was checking out other brands, few have 6-cylinder in this price range. After test driving various models, the N20 won me over. It's a great engine in a small package. Sure it's a little bit noisy at idle with the ticking, but so are the other brands, especially Audi.
From what I can remember, the great thing about the bimmer inline six is its ridiculously low noise level and vibration at idle. Oh how times are a changing!

101 - 120 of 131 Posts