Bimmerfest BMW banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Four bangers the future of BMW - I hope NOT! :thumbdwn:
I would LOVE a naturally aspirated I4 in a car like the M2. Keep the weight down to around 3,300 pounds(and I don't mean 3,300 M3/M4 fake pounds) and you have a winner. Hell, at this point, I'll take a boosted I4 in the M2. Not going to happen though.

My mother loves her 320i xDrive. 35 MPG highway and 28 city MPG doesn't hurt either. The N20 has a lot of spunk. If it had around 200hp instead of the 185, I think it would be perfect.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I hate to say this but I really don't like my 2014 328. It's not a bad car, but to me it's so bland. I leased a 2011 and I wanted to buy it at the end but they just wanted too much for it and it had 45k on it. I really miss the feel and the sound of the inline 6. This car has rattles at only 5k , feels cheap. My 2008 honda accord with the V6 was more fun to drive.

I feel like BMW has lost there way. I'm not even sure I can get out of this thing, but I'm going to try. Sorry but that's how I feel.

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
I hate to say this but I really don't like my 2014 328. It's not a bad car, but to me it's so bland. I leased a 2011 and I wanted to buy it at the end but they just wanted too much for it and it had 45k on it. I really miss the feel and the sound of the inline 6. This car has rattles at only 5k , feels cheap. My 2008 honda accord with the V6 was more fun to drive.

I feel like BMW has lost there way. I'm not even sure I can get out of this thing, but I'm going to try. Sorry but that's how I feel.
Run, run before you get flamed. :flame:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not looking to cause any trouble. Just my opinion and you know they say about opinions lol. I really wanted to like this car too. I will say one thing it is good on gas.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It seems that within a year or so, all German cars start coming out with the same technology, features, etc.
This will likely be the case here as well. In a few years there may not be much of a choice, except US muscle cars that are in a HP and torque war with each other!

so glad that I have a 35 inline 6!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
From what I can remember, the great thing about the bimmer inline six is its ridiculously low noise level and vibration at idle. Oh how times are a changing!
mine's pretty loud, and on startup it occasionally shakes the whole car like the Big Earthquake (probably water ingestion due to ethanol in the fuel). :D

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
mine's pretty loud, and on startup it occasionally shakes the whole car like the Big Earthquake (probably water ingestion due to ethanol in the fuel). :D

Really? My old e46 325i would've been a great candidate for start/stop because it idled like an ejectric car and started smoothly in 1 crank

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

I feel the same way about the new car, but the only solace is that there really wasn't an alternative. For me the big issue is the numb steering which as you say makes driving boring...there is little feedback. The engine even though it's not an I-6 is acceptable for me...not great but I can live with it.

I did hold on to my old car for as long as seemed practical given that I only own one car at a time...if I had a house with the garage I might have still held on to it.

I too have many rattles all over the car, unfortunately all intermittent so I can't reproduce them during the 5-10 min test drive with the foreman. My E46, even at 200K miles had fewer rattles/squeaks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was was leasing my last car and went over the mileage. They made me an attractive offer with the pull ahead program so it was really the best option. Somewhere in my instrument clutter I had a rattle and I'm sure when I bring it in they won't hear it.

Hopefully the car will grow on me. The gas mileage is really impressive for a car this size and power.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
I feel the same way about the new car, but the only solace is that there really wasn't an alternative. For me the big issue is the numb steering which as you say makes driving boring...there is little feedback. The engine even though it's not an I-6 is acceptable for me...not great but I can live with it.

I did hold on to my old car for as long as seemed practical given that I only own one car at a time...if I had a house with the garage I might have still held on to it.

I too have many rattles all over the car, unfortunately all intermittent so I can't reproduce them during the 5-10 min test drive with the foreman. My E46, even at 200K miles had fewer rattles/squeaks.

I loved my e46 but it had plenty of squeaks and rattles even at 60k.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Everyone is going to have the classic battle of I4 vs I6. The fact of the matter is that there are plus sides to each argument. The BMW I6 revolutionized the game, sounds great, and is a very good reliable BMW engine which we all know and love. Now that the MPG wars are out, BMW designed the N20 turbo which cuts weight, performs with the same HP gains as my past 328i and gives me more MPG.

They are great engines designed for completely different purposes. I don't think they will get rid of the I6 in the larger platforms, but in the 2, 3, 4 and even 5 platforms (don't forget the X1, X3, X4) the N20 is a great alternative!

Haters gonna hate, but don't hate it because you don't understand it. The N20, especially with a turbo is still a great BMW engine, especially for an everyday lifestyle.

2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i "Black Betty"
2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman "Penelope"
2011 BMW 328i "Heidi" (past)

121 - 131 of 131 Posts