BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue with knocking/pinging in their N20 - i have a 2016 328xi. It only happens upon acceleration from a stop, the 1st second or two when taking off and seems to be more noticeable in sport mode. Notice it mostly when in a parking garage. Still on its 1st taking of gas (100mi on the car), so wondering if that is the issue? Maybe low grade fuel?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
AKI 87 can be an issue, the minimum is 89, and the recommended is 91. Anything less than 89 will lead to knocking/pinging, and the sensors will then inform ECU to throttle power.

One option is to keep refueling with highest available AKI(e.g. 93?) at 3/4 tank to bump up the AKI, once the knocking stops then wait till 1/4 tank and then refuel with 91 or 93.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Are you sure it is an ignition knock and not fuel injectors? Knock sensors should signal the ecu to re-time the ignition. However if you are using 87 or 86 grade fuel you could get a momentary rattle. What grade fuel are you using?

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is knock. I had the same thing. You have to run the higher octanes. When I would accelerate with hard pedal it almost sounded like a loud rattle and then it would fade. I was messing with octane boosters and when I stopped this happened. After a few miles it stopped. JMO.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Are you sure our cars even have breaks? ;)
:rofl: If you do, cut me one!

Where is the sound coming from? A couple months ago I heard a tapping sound coming from the rear end of the car -- took it to the dealership and they confirmed it was the breaks and that this occasionally happens (and not to worry about it). It's entirely possible the front breaks could create the noise as well for all I know...

·
Super Moderator
8,035 Posts
It is knock. I had the same thing. You have to run the higher octanes. When I would accelerate with hard pedal it almost sounded like a loud rattle and then it would fade. I was messing with octane boosters and when I stopped this happened. After a few miles it stopped. JMO.
Sorry but I am skeptical. Modern cars with electronic ignition and sensors do not knock in any way that you would notice. If the OP hears this, it's possible the knock detector is faulty and the engine is not retarding the timing. I'd really like to hear a video of what he is experiencing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts