BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, this appears to be $600 labor + part($400?) after warranty, so do make sure your car has aluminum oil filter housing before warranty expiration. :D

·
Super Moderator
3,655 Posts
Duplicate deleted

·
Super Moderator
3,655 Posts
5 stars for such changes a good thread

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, great information. Thanks for keeping us updated. Was there a range of dates for this recall?
The SIB should list a range of dates, maybe festers with access to bmwtis.com can provide the PDF of the SIB. :)

From online part search it looks early N20 could come with plastic housing from factory, e.g. 5/2011(although did US delivery start after 2/2012? :dunno:):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=3A53-USA-05-2011-F30-BMW-328i&diagId=11_4780

Do note the plastic unit and aluminum unit have different oil filter element part#'s. The N26 seems to be aluminum housing only.

There are also 2 aluminum part#, one is up to 11/2015, the other is since 11/2015. It is unclear if the post-11/2015 one is a better aluminum unit than the pre-11/2015 one or not.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
5 stars for such changes a good thread
Also just noticed that the old oil plastic housing part# includes oil heat exchanger(the metal rectangle piece), the aluminum housing has a new part# for heat exchanger, so $400 + shipment is best price online for those 2, then probably at least 2 hours of labor. Definitely get this checked/fixed within warranty. The old part# of plastic housing + heat exchanger is only $60 online, that is serious cost cutting(and eventually got slammed by recall)! :)

BTW, thanks for the shutout in your signature. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil Filter Housing

Hi every one,
This week my car just had an oil leak issue and so far I found out that it happened from a cheap plastic oil filter housing. I have brought my car to inspection and after researching I found out that it was a recall issue and should be replaced a new aluminum oil filter housing. However, when I speak to people in BMW services they all agreed about my problem but they said that my car is not under recall so I had to pay for that.
I have called to bmw head office and they didnt give me the answer, I am very disappointed why my car is an defective product from bmw but they they refused their fault? it costed me nearly $2000 to had it done. Can any body please help
My car is E84 (2012)
Should I keep fighting to the head office?
Tks

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi every one,
This week my car just had an oil leak issue and so far I found out that it happened from a cheap plastic oil filter housing. I have brought my car to inspection and after researching I found out that it was a recall issue and should be replaced a new aluminum oil filter housing. However, when I speak to people in BMW services they all agreed about my problem but they said that my car is not under recall so I had to pay for that.
I have called to bmw head office and they didnt give me the answer, I am very disappointed why my car is an defective product from bmw but they they refused their fault? it costed me nearly $2000 to had it done. Can any body please help
My car is E84 (2012)
Should I keep fighting to the head office?
Tks
So has BMW Canada issued a recall on the plastic oil filter housing? The SIB mentioned in thread title should be applicable to US-spec cars, it is unclear if that is the same for Canada.

It is unfortunate that the service has not good-willed part of the repair bill. One option is to complain to BMW Canada, quoting the SIB that is applicable to US-spec cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts