BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
How many other losses like this have there been? I don't recall reading about it here before. Is it really that frequent to warrant a recall? A service bulletin perhaps, but a recall? Plus, doesn't a recall need to be related to a safety issue?

Regardless, there is unfortunately always a certain percentage of any thing, no matter how perfectly designed it may even be, that will fail.
A recall can be for safety issues, or can be for manufacturer defects too.

On the F30 subforum a poster said his dealer sees a few N20 timing chain and oil chain failures, so these failures may not be as rare as hoped.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
No mods in my car.. All service done on time and at BMW.

Writing a letter to BMW NA. I hope that this helps someone else. If anything you need to extended warranty, big mistake by me to not get it.
It is good that dealer did all service as BMWNA cannot complain non-BMW oil/parts used on the car.

One remote possibility is that the engine is under extra stress, e.g. DD includes uphill climbs. One thing checked by a local indy is the mpg to see if a car is driven hard(including uphill terrains). His explanation is that [email protected] is equivalent to [email protected] as far as engine wear and tear is concerned(for the same engine).

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
At 48,000 miles we brought in the car for its scheduled maintenance and again complained about the strong ticking noise from the engine bay and now white smoke coming out from the exhaust. There was also an increase in fuel consumption we noticed. Again, we were assured this was normal and not to worry and the vehicle was in perfect shape.
Did the service invoice document ".... now white smoke coming out from the exhaust. There was also an increase in fuel consumption we noticed"? If so the symptoms have been logged prior to new car warranty expiration and at least those should be covered. Do request the SA/director/foreman to open up a PUMA case and request BMW field engineers to look at the prior documents, they can decide if white smoke from exhaust can be attributed to timing chain issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.