BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Must Read. Stuck Car! Drivetrain malfunction and how to disable it..

Do you have a link to the video? Or was it just the pictures you were referring to?

Thanks! Good luck with the fix! It happened to me and it was the megatronic module. One day my car was working perfectly fine and the next day it wouldn't shift out of park. No warning nothing. Car would turn on and everything would work as normal just wouldn't get out of park.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Problem is having to have all the tools available and the time.
I am trying to get the car to a service computer tomorrow. Bmw dealer will likely charge an arm and a leg. Will see what my local Bmw mechanic will say.
Didn't even know what a megatronic module was until you mentioned it. Then I noticed alot of posts on them failing.

What did the repair cost. I'm assuming you were under warranty.

Looks like this is my next project
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rJw7RWGl0Qw
Don't know what the repair would have cost as it was under warranty. Big headache to deal with.
Good luck with your issue. And let us know what the problem is

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
BMW F25 X3 2013 53,000 miles N20 Timing Chain failure Drivetrain malfunction

Update..

After sending a formal letter and calling BMW NA finally got a nice person assigned to my case. So they are officially looking into everything. They said it should be 2-3 days before they give me an update.

So I guess that's progress...:angel:
Good luck. I really hope BMW NA does the right thing. 3.5 years and only 3k miles over the 50k should def be covered.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
BMW stepped up and is completely covering the repair. They are replacing the engine at no cost.
I had to get BMW NA involved, but actually they went above and beyond and I am very happy.
Was nice to see them take care of a loyal customer.
Can you discuss the details on what you said or told bmw NA? And how did they go above and beyond?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
my 2013 X3 (4 months out of warranty) had about 35000 miles on it when it failed - drivetrain malfunction error, and then "stop driving - low oil pressure"

Had it towed to the dealer and they diagnosed that the timing chain guide had broken apart into small pieces and fallen down into the oil pan - blocking the oil pickup.

Replacement engine cost was $23,000 Cdn - which was fully paid by BMW Canada - after some arguing!

Within 2 weeks of the repairs being done - I traded the X3 for a Lexus NX200t

I've lost all faith in BMW. I find it absolutely inexcusable that BMW has not recalled this crap engine.
I would have done the same thing! Except maybe for a different car

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.