BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2013 X3 (I live in Canada). My vehicle is out of warranty with 93 000km. I had the dreaded "drivetrain malfunction warning) and brought it in to my local BMW service centre to get it looked at. I mentioned the timing chain issue but after looking at the car they said all it needed was upgraded software which costed me approx. $600. 10 days later the "drivetrain malfunction warning came back" and it turns out it is a timing chain issue afterall, they are asking $5500 to get it replaced. I told the service rep. i was aware this was a common issue and he offered me a 10% discount. We went back and fourth for a bit and I'm now waiting to hear from the manager. How was your situation resolved? It is difficult for me to determine what an acceptable compromise should be.
I had to purchase a used engine and install it myself. BMW USA would do nothing for me. It cost me about 5k (US) for the engine and about 4k for parts and other stuff. The dealer offered me 10% off of a 26K replacement cost with a 1 year warranty. I got a 2 year warranty on the used engine. BMW is just ruining their brand with this one. I had a 2014 Z4 on lease that we were all set to trade for the X6M. We just turned it in instead.
On the good side, I know just about everything there is to know about the N20 engine :)

· Registered
99 Posts
BMW is not ruining the brand because at this point only the few hardcore folks who use forums even know about it. And, frankly, I bought my 14 knowing this was an issue. That was three months ago. Since then another 8 or so people have reported in - all 13s. I think this issue ended in 13. It's not widespread enough for BMW to care.
The issue was addressed by BMW in the 2013 engine by putting a metal (stronger) timing chain tensioner. As far as the brand, it only take one, and Im that one. Good luck with your BMW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.