BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
2012 528i xdrive

My car lost all power under mild acceleration on May 30 2016. Starter would engage but engine would not turn over. Dealership pointing the finger at oil contamination since I replaced the filter housing they broke during a routine oil change in July 2015! They say the engine is 'seized!' I thought it might be the timing chain. Now that I came across this post today I am even more inclined to believe that is what the problem is! I would gladly join a class action suit. I cannot afford the $20k the dealer quoted me to replace the engine.

· Registered
47 Posts
Engine seized

I had my 2012 528xi 80 k miles stop while driving Memorial Day 2016. I was in a public park driving ~20 mph under light acceleration. It happened with zero warning. I had it towed immediately to a dealer who told me the engine had seized and I needed a new one. They blamed it on moisture contamination of the oil post replacement of an oil filter housing they cracked and I replaced 7 months previous to the engine failure. I asked if they would check the timing chain tensioner and they declined. I had it towed and it has been in storage since June 2016. I spoke with customer relations at BMW NA today and they are looking in to my predicament to see if BMW will stand behind their engine. What engineer approved plastic timing chain tensioners anyway???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.