BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Timing chain in N20 engine on x3 2013

My x3 has about 54000 on it. I feel sick to my stomach because BMW told me it was going to cost 23k to replace the engine . My car stopped in the middle of the road. The tech found the timing chain module broken and metal in throughout the valve train. The vehicle jumped timing and there is excessive wear present in the valve train.

They are calling BMW tomorrow to see if they are going to help. Let's hope they do the right thing. Please any documentation any has on this please send my way: God Bless!!

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Yes, I was driving at about 35- 40 miles per hour. Engine made a horrible sound and the car completely died, just stopped abruptly. Thank goodness I didn't have anyone beyond me. It wouldn't go into Neutral. It wouldn't start, couldn't do much except for calling a tow truck. A

· Registered
7 Posts
No problem! I have it in an email from my service tech the exact problem and the cost!! My local BMW mechanic told me that it was with only the 2013 X3, but he could also be mistaken. A new engine should solve my problem. I heard they replaced this module in the 2014 and up X3s.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.