BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
341 - 349 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel ya buddy. I paid 8K for a refurbished engine in Denver after paying hundreds to tow it from Steamboat when mine blew. The warranty had already been moved to 70k for the timing chain but I was at 71,500 and thought I had a chance to get some relief from BMW NA but nope!! Those guys told me to stick it and I had to pay for the new engine to get my car back. And I had to explain it to my husband who already hated my car. It***8217;s a horrible feeling knowing your stupid car blew its engine with 71 Thousand miles on it!! It***8217;s actually embarrassing. I wrote a letter to BmW and they could care less. Unless they extend the warranty on the timing chain to over 70k, we are screwed. I***8217;m sorry this happened to you, there is no way to sugar coat it. I know the dealer in Denver felt sorry for me and gave me a deal on the labor, or it would have been much more. Hope you can find an engine under 14k, that sounds ridiculous. Jen

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 BMW 528xi

Join: about 1 hour ago

2013 x3 28i just died 70000 on Highway
It was happening same as many others. Dealer says $9985 for new engine and labor including tax. Crazy...ft!! I did not drive on sport mode concerned gas, most time drove eco mode with courteous. Is this case still open to gether victims to go to lawsuits?
I just shelled out 7000 to replace the engine on my 528xi due to timing chain issue as the engine grenaded itself. Looking for others to join class action lawsuit to get warranty extended from 7yr/70 to 10yr/120 on these N20 engines so others don't end up footing the cost of faulty engines made by BMW

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel ya buddy. I paid 8K for a refurbished engine in Denver after paying hundreds to tow it from Steamboat when mine blew. The warranty had already been moved to 70k for the timing chain but I was at 71,500 and thought I had a chance to get some relief from BMW NA but nope!! Those guys told me to stick it and I had to pay for the new engine to get my car back. And I had to explain it to my husband who already hated my car. It's a horrible feeling knowing your stupid car blew its engine with 71 Thousand miles on it!! It's actually embarrassing. I wrote a letter to BmW and they could care less. Unless they extend the warranty on the timing chain to over 70k, we are screwed. I'm sorry this happened to you, there is no way to sugar coat it. I know the dealer in Denver felt sorry for me and gave me a deal on the labor, or it would have been much more. Hope you can find an engine under 14k, that sounds ridiculous. Jen
just looking at everyone on this page think there are already 4-5 who are in same boat...we would just need 20-40 cases for a class action suit which I am sure we can find if we scour this forum. Anyone taking the lead? I have already emailed the lawyers who were on the last class action to see if they can take this up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I had this happen to me Friday

In Canada we got two lawsuits

https://www.siskinds.com/class-action/bmw-engine/ (200+ people)
https://www.strosbergco.com/class-actions/bmw/

1) Timing chain and oil pump drive chain (Now)
2) Fuel tank leak diagnostic Module (NVLD) (2019)
3) Coolant thermostat (2016)
4) Engine oil feed line to the turbocharger (2018)

I had an extended 7yr/120k miles warranty
My car is a year over 8th yr/94,448 miles

BMW Case manager said we don't have to do a recall, issue an advisory or notice to owners.

I think they might be waiting for someone to stall their car on a left turn due to one of the 3 issues here and get T-boned by the oncoming car.

Don't think it will help but willing to do an inspection on my car and provide paperwork supporting your cases.

In the US they got this going

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13286997

Get in on that classaction, they looking for people and inspections to be done on cars for the courts.

·
Registered
286 Posts
just looking at everyone on this page think there are already 4-5 who are in same boat...we would just need 20-40 cases for a class action suit which I am sure we can find if we scour this forum. Anyone taking the lead? I have already emailed the lawyers who were on the last class action to see if they can take this up.
You could take a look at the ongoing suit in New Jersey Federal Court. It appears to be a class action, but there are fourteen plaintiffs. Here is the link to some description of the suit: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...t-class-action-moves-forward-warranty-claims/

The most recent ruling by the Magistrate Judge in the case was that discovery has to be concluded in June, and that a "settlement" conference will be held on 7/13/2020.

If you have access to the PACER system, the lead plaintiff is "Gelis" and there are 65 entries in the docket.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The latest document in the NJ Federal Court class action is a letter posted 7/6/2020 asking for an extension of time to complete the settlement. The new date (which may still change) is 7/27/2020.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The latest document in the NJ Federal Court class action is a letter posted 7/6/2020 asking for an extension of time to complete the settlement. The new date (which may still change) is 7/27/2020.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here is the latest docket entry in the US District Court of NJ regarding the small claims case involving the N20 and N26 engines:

"TEXT ORDER: At the parties request, the July 13, 2020 hearing to approve the settlement is adjourned to 8/3/20 at 1:30pm.. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor on 7/8/20. (tjg, ) (Entered: 07/08/2020)"

·
Registered
286 Posts
N20/N26 Settlement Delayed Until September 2, 2020

In the N20/N26 Timing Chain Class Action, the settlement date has now been extended to September 2, 2020 by order of the court. Here's the text of the order:

"TEXT ORDER: At the parties request, the hearing scheduled for August 3, 2020 is adjourned to 9/2/20 at 11:30am. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor on 7/31/20. (tjg, )"

341 - 349 of 349 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.