BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
41 - 60 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Speedometers are required to be calibrated to be accurate within +/- 2.5% of the true speed. Changing to different tires can and will affect speedometer readings somewhat, as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Got another email today

"
Hi,

I just joined the N20 engine blown club...

2012 X1 28i with 82 000 km Canadian specs.

Same thing happened; the car went into limp mode and eventually stopped. Got the car towed to the BMW dealership and they are quoting me 13 000***8364; (I'm stationed in Germany) to get a new engine replaced. I'm waiting to hear from BMW in Munich to see what they would cover.

Has BMW USA offered anything more than 25%?

Cheers,
Frank"

·
Registered
8 Posts
2012 X1 28i N20 engine issue

2012 X1 28i with 82k km; always did my maintenance and oil changes as prescribed at BMW dealership. Never any issues with the car up until...

I was driving on the highway and suddenly on the center screen the Check Engine light went on and the car power was reduced (limp mode). I stopped as soon as I could safely do it and the car stopped to never start again. I got the car towed to my local BMW dealer to see what was wrong. They called me a day or two later and confirmed the engine was dead. They tried to manually run the engine but they couldn't even accomplish that.

I showed them proof of my maintenance record and they are now in communication with BMW HQ in Munich to see if they are willing to pay some of the cost.

Waiting to hear back from them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was driving my 2013 X3 with 70,000 miles on it and it suddenly went into neutral and would not start. When it was towed to the dealership, the diagnosis was a thrown rod . I then had it towed to a certified BMW mechanic who says it is not a thrown rod or engine and looks like a timing chain issue. Of course, Im out of warranty and wondering what my next move will be. Of course I still owe on the car and not sure if a costly repair will be worth it at this point. There must be some action we can take since this doesn't seem to be a fluke for such an expensive car.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm starting to get the impression that:
1) With a new car, you either get rid of it before you hit 50k miles or the time limit, or get an extended warranty.
2) With a used vehicle, go CPO such that you get a 4 year extension and 100k mile limit and unless you're willing to deal with expenses after that, get rid of it before you hit those limits.
Not encouraging, given a Toyota or such will easily hit 200k miles. The one we just sold had almost 180k miles and other than slight oil usage ran totally fine.
Really sorry to see this happen -- this does seem like it's ore common that one would think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lucky guy

2012 X1 28i with 82k km; always did my maintenance and oil changes as prescribed at BMW dealership. Never any issues with the car up until...

I was driving on the highway and suddenly on the center screen the Check Engine light went on and the car power was reduced (limp mode). I stopped as soon as I could safely do it and the car stopped to never start again. I got the car towed to my local BMW dealer to see what was wrong. They called me a day or two later and confirmed the engine was dead. They tried to manually run the engine but they couldn't even accomplish that.

I showed them proof of my maintenance record and they are now in communication with BMW HQ in Munich to see if they are willing to pay some of the cost.

Waiting to hear back from them.
Received a call back from my local BMW dealership this afternoon. BMW HQ decided to pay for a new engine entirely. The tech told me the issue with the engine doesn't seem to be the chain but something else. They didn't opened the engine since they couldn't even run it so they knew it had to be replaced. I am just happy they accepted to replace the whole thing for free. Best of luck to all of you with the same issue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Received a call back from my local BMW dealership this afternoon. BMW HQ decided to pay for a new engine entirely. The tech told me the issue with the engine doesn't seem to be the chain but something else. They didn't opened the engine since they couldn't even run it so they knew it had to be replaced. I am just happy they accepted to replace the whole thing for free. Best of luck to all of you with the same issue.
Good for you. That's great. Do you think they would do that in the US?
My X3 just ended its warranty period 3 months ago. Just turning 40k at the moment. I have the 2.8 Straight 6 (non turbo) for which I am glad. Other than 1 problem with the electronic gear selector, I have had no problems with the X3. It was a $1k repair but it was under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good for you. That's great. Do you think they would do that in the US?
My X3 just ended its warranty period 3 months ago. Just turning 40k at the moment. I have the 2.8 Straight 6 (non turbo) for which I am glad.
It's hard to tell...all I can say was the rep I spoke at my local BMW dealership was very clear they had a name to maintain and this situation was not normal. You have nothing to loose in trying, right. Good luck.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Excellent news, but also as it should be. I hope they tear the old engine apart and learn something useful. Very happy for you -- a huge relief, I'm sure!

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's great news! What we can't tell from this thread is how widespread this problem is (aka engine failure for whatever reason) ... I wonder if those reporting here are the exception versus BMW needing a recall or client advisory issued? Hoping a BMW tech will reply ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
BMW stepped up and is completely covering the repair. They are replacing the engine at no cost.
I had to get BMW NA involved, but actually they went above and beyond and I am very happy.
Was nice to see them take care of a loyal customer.

·
Captain Crunch
164 Posts
Glad to hear a happy resolution magas!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
BMW stepped up and is completely covering the repair. They are replacing the engine at no cost.
I had to get BMW NA involved, but actually they went above and beyond and I am very happy.
Can you discuss the details on what you said or told bmw NA? And how did they go above and beyond?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great BMW did the right thing.

I was told today the turbo and the radiator were damaged as well. Apparently, engine oil managed to 'break' through some part (made in plastic then but metal now) and went into the radiator causing the cylinders to seize in the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 x3 28i had loud whin in the engine and the power train light came on took to the dealer of course it is out of warranty had to have timing chain and guides replaced whin fixed 3k dollars later but got 20 miles down the road and the power train reduced power lights back on dealer says the only thing that gives that code is a turbo failure which would smoke which it does not or the actuator this car has started killing me runs fine no power loss but the display keeps coming on HELP the dealer is really not much help at all just wants money

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drive train warning light

Has 85k now still look and smells new this has been very costly and this warning light is annoying all the dealership yech says it only comes on if there is a actuator or sensor issue if turbo is no noises leaking oil or broken.

41 - 60 of 349 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.