BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
61 - 80 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi all! Just wanted everyone here know that MY 2013 X3 28 just needed a new timing chain!!!!!! Luckily I was still under warranty at 42,000mi this is rediculous!!!! I love how the service dept had to call BMW to authorize the service!!!!! $$$$$$ crazy!!!!! Wtf!?!?!

·
Registered
47 Posts
2012 528i xdrive

My car lost all power under mild acceleration on May 30 2016. Starter would engage but engine would not turn over. Dealership pointing the finger at oil contamination since I replaced the filter housing they broke during a routine oil change in July 2015! They say the engine is 'seized!' I thought it might be the timing chain. Now that I came across this post today I am even more inclined to believe that is what the problem is! I would gladly join a class action suit. I cannot afford the $20k the dealer quoted me to replace the engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This thread makes me worry - mine is going out of warranty in few days. Wonder if I should run to the dealership tomorrow and pay $$$ to renew warranty or ask them to replace the old part with the new design as a preventive measure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great BMW did the right thing.

Apparently, engine oil managed to 'break' through some part (made in plastic then but metal now) and went into the radiator causing the cylinders to seize in the engine.
That was oil filter housing. Some cars came with plastic version, which cracks letting coolant and oil to mix. Oil turns to slush, coolant gets dirty too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This thread makes me worry - mine is going out of warranty in few days. Wonder if I should run to the dealership tomorrow and pay $$$ to renew warranty or ask them to replace the old part with the new design as a preventive measure.
If I were you I'd do it. This is a clear problem occurring in the X3's, rather you put down 2-3 Grand as opposed to the 20 it would take to replace an engine. Plus you get security in regards to other things going wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How much do you end up paying and did BMW help you at all?
This is his update, post #51:

"BMW stepped up and is completely covering the repair. They are replacing the engine at no cost.
I had to get BMW NA involved, but actually they went above and beyond and I am very happy.
Was nice to see them take care of a loyal customer."

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is his update, post #51:

"BMW stepped up and is completely covering the repair. They are replacing the engine at no cost.
I had to get BMW NA involved, but actually they went above and beyond and I am very happy.
Was nice to see them take care of a loyal customer."
wow that's so good to hear! i m glad they took complete care of it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, that might be because Magas was 53,000 miles - just a month or two after warranty ended. Now guess how that would turn if his car was 63,000, or better 73,000. That warm and fuzzy ""BMW stepped up and is completely covering the repair" most likely would not be there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Timing chain in N20 engine on x3 2013

My x3 has about 54000 on it. I feel sick to my stomach because BMW told me it was going to cost 23k to replace the engine . My car stopped in the middle of the road. The tech found the timing chain module broken and metal in throughout the valve train. The vehicle jumped timing and there is excessive wear present in the valve train.

They are calling BMW tomorrow to see if they are going to help. Let's hope they do the right thing. Please any documentation any has on this please send my way: God Bless!!

·
Registered User '16
8 Posts
My x3 has about 54000 on it. I feel sick to my stomach because BMW told me it was going to cost 23k to replace the engine . My car stopped in the middle of the road. The tech found the timing chain module broken and metal in throughout the valve train. The vehicle jumped timing and there is excessive wear present in the valve train.

They are calling BMW tomorrow to see if they are going to help. Let's hope they do the right thing. Please any documentation any has on this please send my way: God Bless!!
Nabs,

I saw your post in another thread and am glad your X3 was taken care of by the BMW dealer. Can you elaborate on what happened when your car "stopped in the middle of the road"? Was it a sudden jerk to a stop from like 40mph to 0mph?

Crossing my fingers here for my X3 2.8i...

61 - 80 of 349 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.