BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 328xi coupe that was in recently at my local BMW center for a full inspection since it just went over 100,000 miles.

The things they "found" were -

1. Oil Filter housing gasket leaking
2. Oil leaking around Eccentric shaft sensor
3. Oil pan gasket leak.

All leaks are very light, there are no drips or puddles under my car even if left sitting over the weekend.

I still want to replace the gaskets before they become an issue, so here's my question - If I am not getting any faults or degraded performance, would I still have to replace the actual Eccentric shaft sensor, or would just changing the gaskets be adequate? I hate the thought of throwing another couple of hundred dollars at something if I don't have to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the quoted amounts -

1. Oil Filter housing gasket leaking. - $613.27
2. Oil leaking around Eccentric shaft sensor -$1545.55
3. Oil pan gasket leak. - $1568.59

The oil filter housing gasket I will change myself with an oil change and a coolant fluid drain and fill it will be less than $150.00

The oil pan gasket will be around $1000 at an indy I have used before, but it's last on the list as it's light and the least potentially destructive.

I have been told on another forum that the eccentric sensor should be covered under the SULEV warranty. That would quite nice. I hope to confirm that Monday morning.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have been told on another forum that the eccentric sensor should be covered under the SULEV warranty. That would quite nice. I hope to confirm that Monday morning.
It is true about the eccentric shaft sensor being covered for SULEV engine under the CA Emissions Warranty, as well as in one of 9 other states that are included under that warranty.

There ARE documented cases among bimmerfest drivers about SULEV vehicles that were repaired under the SULEV warranty even OUTSIDE the list of SULEV states, registered in non-listed states. But your dealer in KY might not argue in your favor with BMW NA.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
If there is oil INSIDE the connector, then the sensor should be replaced.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have bought everything except the actual sensor, just in case I'm stuck doing it myself.
If your dealer manages to get your SULEV repairs at BMW NA expense in spite of you not being registered within the 13 listed SULEV states, the replacement of the ESS includes the ESS gasket replacement and also the VCG replacement. That is about $700 in parts and $1100 in labor according to my SF Bay area dealer, leaving you with oil pan gasket and oil filter housing gasket still needing to be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts