Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share my experience with everyone who may have a SULEV or wants to know what is covered under the SULEV warranty (15years/150,000 miles). As I can't provide a full list I just want to point out that many things you thought were not covered actually might be. I had BMW replace coils, VCG, Vanos, catalytic converters and cam position sensors under this warranty at a 149,000 miles. Take your car into the dealer if you have any issues that may at all be related to emissions and they should be covered. Although it took the BMW dealer to find out the full details about the warranty (as they have never heard about it) and get the repairs authorized it was well worth it. I was provided with a loaner and the total bill was around $7,000 that they ended up covered with not much of a fight. The only thing with the SULEV warranty is it covers cars registered in certain states. You can find the full list in your manual. I hope this helps some of you and that you have as much luck as I had!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Wow, thank you for the information. I did not know all of those would be covered.

:drive:

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
There ARE documented cases among POTN drivers about SULEV vehicles that were repaired under the SULEV warranty even OUTSIDE the list of SULEV states, registered in non-listed states.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You're welcome! And, yes I agree, they can always make exceptions. For example, mine was repaired in a state that is not listed as a "SULEV-state" but it was registered in NJ (which is one of the states that provides SULEV coverage). I am sure if you weren't even registered in one of the listed states you can push and still get things covered. Also, I am pretty sure you can get some sort of a tax brake for owning a SULEV, although I personally didn't try and claim that, since I didn't find out that I even had a SULEV until my car had about 145k miles on it!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Excellent point. I would also add the Eccentric Shaft Sensor - as it is a big job and requires replacing the VCG also.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Excellent point. I would also add the Eccentric Shaft Sensor - as it is a big job and requires replacing the VCG also.

I had that done last year under the SULEV warranty, although I also have a CPO, as the SULEV allows the dealer to avoid the $50 deductible of the CPO Warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right! The radiator is covered, and you can also tell Prius drivers that not only does your 3.0l I-6 not pollute but it filters the air unlike their Prius! Hahah

·
Registered
12,341 Posts
You are right! The radiator is covered, and you can also tell Prius drivers that not only does your 3.0l I-6 not pollute but it filters the air unlike their Prius! Hahah
Just curious, does PZEV warranty cover DOR radiator AND all radiator hoses, or just the radiator itself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in Seattle, WA. In this state the SULEV warranty is in effect up to 70,000 miles. I just had my valve cover gasket and eccentric shaft sensor replaced, along with a few other minor repairs. Mileage was around 69,200. This would have totaled about $4000 at BMW Seattle, but all covered under the warranty. The oil filter housing gasket was also leaking but they weren't able to include that.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
In November, I had a new set of coils installed under the SULEV warranty terms, as I had Cyl 4 misfires. The work was done at the same time that my extended service contract covered the replacement of a set of spark plugs during the last 2 days of the contract, about 1500 miles sooner than the 60k interval specified for plugs on an N51 SULEV engine! The oil filter housing gasket was replaced about a year earlier during an oil service, as a CPO warranty claim, it was not SULEV warranty.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Curious on how you ended up reaching out to the dealer for the SULEV warranty fix. Did the vehicle fail the smog test?

·
Registered
34 Posts
POS Don Jacobs BMW in Lexington, KY would not change my valve cover gasket and eccentric shaft sensor as they said that only the sensor was covered from failure, but since I had an oil leak that would cause the failure (if it actually happened) it was not covered. Even though they had it all written up for me to pay $$$$ to get it fixed.

I ended up replacing the VCG and all other gaskets on the valve cover myself. They will not work with you unless you are paying them directly.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
POS Don Jacobs BMW in Lexington, KY would not change my valve cover gasket and eccentric shaft sensor as they said that only the sensor was covered from failure, but since I had an oil leak that would cause the failure (if it actually happened) it was not covered. Even though they had it all written up for me to pay $$$$ to get it fixed.

I ended up replacing the VCG and all other gaskets on the valve cover myself. They will not work with you unless you are paying them directly.
Odd, with the need to replace the Eccentric Shaft Sensor, the dealer has to replace the Valve Cover Gasket simply because they need to remove the Valve Cover to replace the ESS! That they would NOT cover the gasket although the ESS was in need of replacement sound like a dealer I would not want to patronize!
When my ESS was replaced, I asked about the VCG and my SA told me that they normally replace the gasket any time the remove the cover, as a matter of policy. And snce ESS was in need of replacement under SULEV warranty, the gasket was covered in that job.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Odd, with the need to replace the Eccentric Shaft Sensor, the dealer has to replace the Valve Cover Gasket simply because they need to remove the Valve Cover to replace the ESS! That they would NOT cover the gasket although the ESS was in need of replacement sound like a dealer I would not want to patronize!
When my ESS was replaced, I asked about the VCG and my SA told me that they normally replace the gasket any time the remove the cover, as a matter of policy. And snce ESS was in need of replacement under SULEV warranty, the gasket was covered in that job.
Curious on what happened which triggered the ESS replacement. At how many miles?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Curious on what happened which triggered the ESS replacement. At how many miles?
My 2011 328i has N51, and is a CPO car. The engine had a sudden rough idle develop as we pulled into a hotel parking lot after 12 hours of driving (to Las Vegas from SF) in late July 2015, but that roughness went away upon restart and gave no troubles during the drive back home. But in Sep 2015 with about 47.6K on the clock the roughness came back along with a dash light, so I took it in to the dealer (only one month after I had been into the dealer for routine service 500 miles earlier, when it exhibited no symptoms).

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
My 2011 328i has N51, and is a CPO car. The engine had a sudden rough idle develop as we pulled into a hotel parking lot after 12 hours of driving (to Las Vegas from SF) in late July 2015, but that roughness went away upon restart. But in Sep 2015 with about 47.6K on the clock the roughness came back along with a dash light, so I took it in to the dealer (only one month after I had been into the dealer for routine service 500 miles earlier, when it exhibited no symptoms).
Thanks. So the Check Engine Warning came on?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts