Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I drive a 2008 n52b25 powered e92 with the plastic valve cover.
My issue is that im going through about 1lt/qt every 700km/400mi .
Issue seems to have started after a new aftermarket VC was installed when my old one broke when replacing it's gasket.
Things I replaced so far are all gaskets including oil cooler and oil filter housing, rear main seal, new vvt motor and gasket (did fail), hose that goes from back of VC to Intake manifold.
Oil consumption seems to be on highway drive, no visible smoke, no whistling from engine.
Compression test excellent on every cylinder. Little to none oil on spark plugs.
Little suction when opening oil cap at idle ( I suppose normal)
Other than that car runs fine.
Maintained with motul 8100 5w40 and lately tried liquimoly oil consumption additive but it didn't make a difference.

Well, question time.
Is there a way of capping the IM port and venting VC to atmosphere? I've read about the rings on the N52 and needing certain vacuum to operate properly. Emissions aren't a requirement where I live
Could be a bad ccv, even if its not blue smoking and/or whistling?

Again I'm getting mentally exhausted from this massive oil consumption issue, and I really love this car but I'm getting mad.

Did some of you tried the ccv delete??
Help much appreciated.

Enviado desde mi S41 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
What's your highway speed and distance? Typical consumption on my N52 is about 1 litre/7000 km with 360,000 on the engine. I run Castrol 0w40 in summer and 0w30 in winter. On a typical highway trip of 60 km, I seldom exceed 110 km/hr however I have noticed that driving with a lead foot definitely increases the oil consumption.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's your highway speed and distance? Typical consumption on my N52 is about 1 litre/7000 km with 360,000 on the engine. I run Castrol 0w40 in summer and 0w30 in winter. On a typical highway trip of 60 km, I seldom exceed 110 km/hr however I have noticed that driving with a lead foot definitely increases the oil consumption.
When I do long trips usually are between 150 and 400km with an average speed of 140kmh, about 85/90mph ..
I assume this is a ccv issue. And I said 1lt every
700km not 7000km

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Yes. I understand that you use a litre of oil every 700 km. If you are burning through that much oil through the CCV system, you will see blue smoke from the exhaust pipe and see a check engine light along with codes .

Have you checked under the car by removing the undershield? It will hold a lot of oil before you see drips. What about the oil pan gasket?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I understand that you use a litre of oil every 700 km. If you are burning through that much oil through the CCV system, you will see blue smoke from the exhaust pipe and see a check engine light along with codes .

Have you checked under the car by removing the undershield? It will hold a lot of oil before you see drips. What about the oil pan gasket?
Oil pan gasket replaced a month ago, problem persisted. Undershield is completely dry. If some smoke is happening at Highway speeds I might not be noticing it. On the city and idle, not a single bit.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
What's the mileage on your engine? What's the oil change interval? Any oily deposit on the tail pipe? Have you scanned for codes? Have you checked the live data stream for things like catalytic converter efficiency, o2 sensors and fuel trim? What do the plugs look like at the tips?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the mileage on your engine? What's the oil change interval? Any oily deposit on the tail pipe? Have you scanned for codes? Have you checked the live data stream for things like catalytic converter efficiency, o2 sensors and fuel trim? What do the plugs look like at the tips?
OCI every 8000km. 150.000km on the clock.
Tail pipe black coated. Zero codes.
Threw a code last month because bad cstwñytic converter efficiency, but hasn't come back.
Tips seem to be normal.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
OCI every 8000km. 150.000km on the clock.
Tail pipe black coated. Zero codes.
Threw a code last month because bad cstwñytic converter efficiency, but hasn't come back.
Tips seem to be normal.

What oil are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What oil are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi edycol. As stated in my original post I am using motul 5w40.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you the original owner of the car?
Third owner. But before replacing VC didn't consume a single bit or oil. And I had it for about a year before this happened

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Third owner. But before replacing VC didn't consume a single bit or oil. And I had it for about a year before this happened
lk
So, looking at this logically, the replacement of the VC precipitated the issue.

I have often wondered if an external PCV valve could be fitted in line between the VC and the PCV system to negate the need to replace the whole VC in the case of a defective PCV valve. Given that lots of other cars are set up in that manner, BMW chose to do this why......?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, looking at this logically, the replacement of the VC precipitated the issue.

I have often wondered if an external PCV valve could be fitted in line between the VC and the PCV system to negate the need to replace the whole VC in the case of a defective PCV valve. Given that lots of other cars are set up in that manner, BMW chose to do this why......?
Magnesium cover n52's have a serviceable oil separator. Not my case with the integrated one to the vc

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will be trying the vacuum test later today.
The valve cover has a plastic nipple on the vslve and it should hold vacuum if the membrane is intact. If it holds then I will replace the whole gasket as it maybe is pinched in the spark plug well sockets.. if it doesn't hold then it's a torn diaphragm on a almost new aftermarket VC.
Will report back

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update. Pcv seals well and holds vacuum.
I'm absolutely clueless now. Will take off the valve cover again to recheck everything and change gaskets one more time and be sure it is seating properly. After that if it still consuming oil, im absolutely about of ideas.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update.
New VC gasket is inatalled. Tricky and horrible job. I also replaced all six coils and sparkplugs.
New gaskets fitted, pcv tested via vacuum and holds it well.
Now I'll wait to try a long trip again and see if oil still drops either the rings or seals.. or maybe this pcv is defective even if its diaphragm is sealing well. Didn't take off the I take Mani.

·
Registered
154 Posts
look to the n54 people about deleting the factory setup and going to an external catch can.

it's not a massive project.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
look to the n54 people about deleting the factory setup and going to an external catch can.

it's not a massive project.
N54 akso has an integrated pcv on the valve cover ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts