BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Glfbggy
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm working to sell my '07 e83 a perspective buyer took the vehicle to an independent for inspection. The inspection found oil in the eccentric shaft sensor plug. Recommendations are to replace the sensor and head bolts in the valve cover. Estimated costs are $1700. They indicated it was not uncommon, but I've not seen any mention of this. Does anyone have any back ground on this?

·
Registered
976 Posts
If it's just the eccentric shaft sensor gasket, then that's a $10 part and 30-60 mins to replace.

If the valve cover gasket is leaking too (separate thing) then that's more expensive.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Nevermind - just saw your other thread

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
As I'm working to sell my '07 e83 a perspective buyer took the vehicle to an independent for inspection. The inspection found oil in the eccentric shaft sensor plug. Recommendations are to replace the sensor and head bolts in the valve cover. Estimated costs are $1700. They indicated it was not uncommon, but I've not seen any mention of this. Does anyone have any back ground on this?
Howdy, yes very common. The job does take some time the cost ranges anywhere from 1200-$2000 to get done by a shop.

The sensor itself is about $200, gasket/seal another $5. Valve cover gasket is another $40.

I did the job back in the summer. In order to replace sensor you have to pull the whole valve cover off. Took me a solid 8hours (took breaks in between) to replace it. The sensor itself is only held in by 2 small bolts but is the work of removing all the other crap to get to it.

The top seal can be replaced without pulling valve cover off, you could try this fix to see if it helps to stop the oil from seeping into the sensor plug but the sensor could also be fouled at this point.

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
I might have missed something - is the car reporting codes as a result of a failed VVT sensor (aka eccentric shaft sensor)? Or is the issue simply the presence of oil on the VVT Sensor seal? I think the tech is working on PM here and presuming that left uncorrected the VVT sensor will eventually fail. Changing the VVT sensor does require removing the valve cover and the associated high labor costs, correcting the seeping of oil via the VVT sensor gasket does not and is a 10 minute DIY job and about $5. I'd only agree to replace the VVT sensor if it was confirmed failed, especially if you're selling the car.

Edit: Oops just saw your other thread - maybe you should close this one?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts