Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the seal was spared from the belt, but would love some validation. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,991 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have serious leak coming from oil filter housing. Am fixing this while it's down.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,937 Posts
Yes I have serious leak coming from oil filter housing. Am fixing this while it's down.
I presume you realize you're closing the barn/stall door after the horse has run away. :)

With that much oil leaking from the OFHG, the belt MUST have been saturated with oil. I would suggest checking BOTH (1) the oil for coolant [white, milky residue when you shine a bright light into the valve cover after opening filler cap]; and (2) coolant for oil in coolant. If you have NOT drained and refilled coolant recently, I would suggest doing so AFTER changing OFHG and also changing the oil, inspecting each fluid drained for cross-contamination.

Hope you don't have sludge under the Valve Cover like the photos seem to show on the front of the "timing cover"/crankcase.

Was the belt jammed between the crankshaft damper/pulley and the front of the crankcase in the front crankshaft seal area? Hope you/your engine dodged the bullet. :)

George

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I presume you realize you're closing the barn/stall door after the horse has run away. :)

With that much oil leaking from the OFHG, the belt MUST have been saturated with oil. I would suggest checking BOTH (1) the oil for coolant [white, milky residue when you shine a bright light into the valve cover after opening filler cap]; and (2) coolant for oil in coolant. If you have NOT drained and refilled coolant recently, I would suggest doing so AFTER changing OFHG and also changing the oil, inspecting each fluid drained for cross-contamination.

Hope you don't have sludge under the Valve Cover like the photos seem to show on the front of the "timing cover"/crankcase.

Was the belt jammed between the crankshaft damper/pulley and the front of the crankcase in the front crankshaft seal area? Hope you/your engine dodged the bullet. :)

George
Belt was not jammed behind crank pulley. I drained coolant to pull oil filter housing off and all seemed fine.

I had actually gone in to change the oil filter housing gasket a while back and found one of the E10 bolts stripped. I didn't have a replacement bolt at the time, so I replaced oil cooler gasket only along with serpentine belt and tensioner/pulley without doing filter housing. I was hopeful that leak was at the cooler gasket but obviously it wasn't...then life got in the way if a prompt fix. Hoping this weekend's tlc yields some improvement.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,937 Posts
...then life got in the way if a prompt fix. Hoping this weekend's tlc yields some improvement.
Life has a way of doing that -- if you think you're in control, you just don't understand the situation. :) We ALL need a good wake-up call every now & then, and hopefully NO damage and all will be well after proper repair.

Hope your TLC pays off and your steed returns.

George

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Belt was not jammed behind crank pulley. I drained coolant to pull oil filter housing off and all seemed fine.

I had actually gone in to change the oil filter housing gasket a while back and found one of the E10 bolts stripped. I didn't have a replacement bolt at the time, so I replaced oil cooler gasket only along with serpentine belt and tensioner/pulley without doing filter housing. I was hopeful that leak was at the cooler gasket but obviously it wasn't...then life got in the way if a prompt fix. Hoping this weekend's tlc yields some improvement.

Your headline says "belt shred". Was the belt in pieces, or did it unwind from behind the crank pulley in one piece?

If it actually shredded, you have potentially serious problems, and several more inspection steps to go. If it was shredded, don't start the car again until you check several items.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely in pieces. There wasn't anything wrapped behind the pulley.
Your headline says "belt shred". Was the belt in pieces, or did it unwind from behind the crank pulley in one piece?

If it actually shredded, you have potentially serious problems, and several more inspection steps to go.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Definitely in pieces. There wasn't anything wrapped behind the pulley.

So you didn't pull anything from around the main seal? No rubber, pieces of metal, anything from the edge of the seal-to-metal surface?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts