Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my shiny new Bentley service manual showed up today and as I was looking through it I got a bit confused. There is a section that describes how to remove the oil pan (for gasket replacement) on the m54 engine (119-26), but nothing on the n54.
I know all about having to drop the sub frame and that stuff, what I was hoping to find was the proper torque specs, gasket replacement procedure (gasket only or gasket + silicone?) etc. I realize some people have posted how they've done it, but for $100 I was hoping I'd see how the factory does it.

Am I crazy and just not looking in the right area?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi all, my shiny new Bentley service manual showed up today and as I was looking through it I got a bit confused. There is a section that describes how to remove the oil pan (for gasket replacement) on the m54 engine (119-26), but nothing on the n54.
I know all about having to drop the sub frame and that stuff, what I was hoping to find was the proper torque specs, gasket replacement procedure (gasket only or gasket + silicone?) etc. I realize some people have posted how they've done it, but for $100 I was hoping I'd see how the factory does it.

Am I crazy and just not looking in the right area?
Wait till you have to rely on the electrical schematics to troubleshoot something. The Bentley Manuals are overpriced for the info provided in my opinion

·
Registered
995 Posts
Wait till you have to rely on the electrical schematics to troubleshoot something. The Bentley Manuals are overpriced for the info provided in my opinion
I never pulled the trigger on the Bentley Manual. First of all it's too expensive. Secondly, the information readily available on Internet easily justifies not getting the Manual.

·
Under the lift arms
12,939 Posts
No offense, that is a very common excuse,

couple of pointers..

a 200$ scan tool or a 200$ service manual set being compared to a 65,000$ (you cant drive a bmw and say the Bentley service set is to expensive in the same sentence )

Unless you have a shop service computer, with the cover.. Its not a good idea to try to wrench and use a keyboard Or phone. or laptop.. Not only will you get your keyboard trashed, BUt you will take longer to do the job

The service set is the way to go.. WHen you have done it correctly, the sections that get visited the most will have blacken'd edges (again there are some people who don't mind doing things a little slower)

Ive never had any issue not being able to find what i needed in the service set,

·
Registered
995 Posts
No offense, that is a very common excuse,

couple of pointers..

a 200$ scan tool or a 200$ service manual set being compared to a 65,000$ (you cant drive a bmw and say the Bentley service set is to expensive in the same sentence )

Unless you have a shop service computer, with the cover.. Its not a good idea to try to wrench and use a keyboard Or phone. or laptop.. Not only will you get your keyboard trashed, BUt you will take longer to do the job

The service set is the way to go.. WHen you have done it correctly, the sections that get visited the most will have blacken'd edges (again there are some people who don't mind doing things a little slower)

Ive never had any issue not being able to find what i needed in the service set,

It's a nice to have book but absolutely unnecessary. newTIS.info is the first place I visit if things need to be fixed. It helped me a lot already. Pelican is also a good place for hands on. Youtube has vast selection of DIYs as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts