BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my ignorance, I***8217;m simply trying to learn so I don***8217;t destroy my car. So I***8217;m thinking about upgrading my turbo and have read that I should purchase inlets. I have don***8217;t some research and the inlet for the N55 looks like a charge pipe.

I***8217;d appreciate it if someone could explain to me the different, if there is one, as well as the benefits of upgrading the inlets or if I even have to upgrade it at all.

(I have full bolt ons, except for exhaust)

·
RLTW
564 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm simply trying to learn so I don't destroy my car. So I'm thinking about upgrading my turbo and have read that I should purchase inlets. I have don't some research and the inlet for the N55 looks like a charge pipe.

I'd appreciate it if someone could explain to me the different, if there is one, as well as the benefits of upgrading the inlets or if I even have to upgrade it at all.

The inlet (singular on the N55) and the charge pipe are two different things. The inlet is the connection from the airbox to the cold side of the turbo. The charge pipe is at the very end of that intake air's path, connecting between the intercooler and the throttle body where that air finally enters the intake manifold.

If you're going to spend the money on a turbo upgrade it would be foolish not to upgrade the rest of the intake tract. The idea is to flow as much air with the least restriction as possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm simply trying to learn so I don't destroy my car. So I'm thinking about upgrading my turbo and have read that I should purchase inlets. I have don't some research and the inlet for the N55 looks like a charge pipe.

I'd appreciate it if someone could explain to me the different, if there is one, as well as the benefits of upgrading the inlets or if I even have to upgrade it at all.

The inlet (singular on the N55) and the charge pipe are two different things. The inlet is the connection from the airbox to the cold side of the turbo. The charge pipe is at the very end of that intake air's path, connecting between the intercooler and the throttle body where that air finally enters the intake manifold.

If you're going to spend the money on a turbo upgrade it would be foolish not to upgrade the rest of the intake tract. The idea is to flow as much air with the least restriction as possible.
Ahh .. okay, makes sense !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts