BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m very curious of the reliability of the new N55. I owned the 535/ N54 and experienced many problems with numerous HPFPs & injector replacements.

In late 2010, I had taken advantage of the BMW Buyer Assist program and purchased a new F10 528 and logged 34k trouble free miles. Do I miss the power and torque of the N54? Yes :mad:, but I couldn’t bare going through the constant visits to the dealership with another BMW turbo.

So with respect to the engine only, how many miles have you logged on your N55 and have you experienced any issues. If you have had any issues, please state them.

Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am curious about this as well. Whats the reliabilities of the engine of F10 535i?

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
20,293 miles and fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
5000 and no problems. Why do you care? You now have the I6 528.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I think the N55 is far more reliable than the N54. If you take a look at the 3 series which has had the N55 the longest, there do not seem to be as many problems. You see the rare post about an HPFP failure but I don't think the problem is prevalent.

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
I think the N55 is far more reliable than the N54. If you take a look at the 3 series which has had the N55 the longest, there do not seem to be as many problems. You see the rare post about an HPFP failure but I don't think the problem is prevalent.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to split hairs, but only the HPFP on the N54 was an issue - not the whole engine. There was a recall on the injectors, but those issues were not "disabling" and the replacement was painless.

Yeah - It was a safey issue when the HPFP crapped out and it took too long to find an acceptable replacement (my first was a reman part) but it looks like they've got it fixed with the newest HPFP (PN ending in 616-446). After driving 528/530's, I would not have bought this car with either engine and glad I waited for the N54 - and installed Dinan S2 when it was new.

Since the F11 isn't being brought in, I'm keeping my E61 for another 4 years (with a 3rd party extended warranty taking me through 2016...).

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Not to split hairs, but only the HPFP on the N54 was an issue - not the whole engine. There was a recall on the injectors, but those issues were not "disabling" and the replacement was painless.

Yeah - It was a safey issue when the HPFP crapped out and it took too long to find an acceptable replacement (my first was a reman part) but it looks like they've got it fixed with the newest HPFP (PN ending in 616-446). After driving 528/530's, I would not have bought this car with either engine and glad I waited for the N54 - and installed Dinan S2 when it was new.

Since the F11 isn't being brought in, I'm keeping my E61 for another 4 years (with a 3rd party extended warranty taking me through 2016...).
Phoenix - the injectors were disabling too - I experienced limp mode on the highway due to failed injectors.

·
7,121 Posts

Weren't there wastegate issues as well?

·
East Coast Commuter
4,628 Posts
I agree. The 2011 N55's have the latest injectors, the latest software and the latest HPFP. My N54 535i (carbon copy of slaymaster's) was trouble free once I got the latest injectors and HPFP.

Phoenix - the injectors were disabling too - I experienced limp mode on the highway due to failed injectors.
true

Weren't there wastegate issues as well?
yes on early build N54's...the issue was sorted out by the 2009 models.

To Slaymaster. I know what you went through with the N54 and we both had the exact same car. Mine was relatively problem free and yours was a nightmare. We both drive 30k miles a year. I honestly think you are ok taking the plunge for an N55 and, if I were you, I would try to do it before the end of the year. The year end deals right now (mission drive credit, nav credit, additional BMW "secret" credits) mean many people are getting 6k plus off MSRP on new 535i's. I got 11k off because I took a lot 6MT they were dying to unload. Let me know if you want names of some dealers that have leftover 6MT 535i's and are willing to do insane things to get rid of them (you would have to travel, but the savings would likely be worth it).

·
East Coast Commuter
4,628 Posts
[/B]

I was thinking the same thing!
I know Slaymaster and I know he really did not want the 528 with the I6. He only took it because he was scared to go into an N55 after his disaster buy back N54. I knew he would be back because he was ho hum about the 528 motor from the day he got it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had a N54 E60 and didn't have much trouble, fortunately. However, by one year in service this board was loaded with complaints. For the N55, just about no complaints, so I'd conclude that the short term reliability is fine.

No problem with my N55 at 14k miles, FWIW

·
7,121 Posts
I had a N54 E60 and didn't have much trouble, fortunately. However, by one year in service this board was loaded with complaints. For the N55, just about no complaints, so I'd conclude that the short term reliability is fine.

No problem with my N55 at 14k miles, FWIW
N55 has been in service since the 2009 MY (IIRC) in the X5 and X6, then later in the E90, and now spreading around....

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5000 and no problems. Why do you care? You now have the I6 528.
Maybe because I owned an N54 as stated and I might go back for another 535 next go around. I thought I was pretty clear on my post.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree. The 2011 N55's have the latest injectors, the latest software and the latest HPFP. My N54 535i (carbon copy of slaymaster's) was trouble free once I got the latest injectors and HPFP.

true

yes on early build N54's...the issue was sorted out by the 2009 models.

To Slaymaster. I know what you went through with the N54 and we both had the exact same car. Mine was relatively problem free and yours was a nightmare. We both drive 30k miles a year. I honestly think you are ok taking the plunge for an N55 and, if I were you, I would try to do it before the end of the year. The year end deals right now (mission drive credit, nav credit, additional BMW "secret" credits) mean many people are getting 6k plus off MSRP on new 535i's. I got 11k off because I took a lot 6MT they were dying to unload. Let me know if you want names of some dealers that have leftover 6MT 535i's and are willing to do insane things to get rid of them (you would have to travel, but the savings would likely be worth it).
Alpine- you are on the money and correct! :thumbup: Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I suspect that after the N54 HPFP fiasco, BMW spent considerably more time testing the
N55 engine.

The labor alone in having to replace thousands of fuel pumps and injectors cost them dearly.

I wonder how much the vendors supplying the HPFP had to chip in? :dunno: Or if they even had to. I am not sure if the N54 HPFP's were faulty, or the N54 engine was not designed properly to accomodate the HPFP and caused them to fail.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Exactly. You were very clear.
Maybe PsychDoc needs to see an Optometrist! :rofl:

All kidding aside, I'm glad you all are not having any issues with the N55. But I would feel a whole lot more confident seeing more miles clocked on them. It's amazing the N54 won awards long before these fuel delivery issues and now the new N20 is an award winner.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts