BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NewTIS explicitly instructs not to detach the engine ventilation line at the cylinder head cover. Yet every single DIY spark plug changing video does exactly that. Like this FCP Euro guy at 3:08 for example.

How come?

Necessary preliminary work:
13 71 150 Removing clean air pipe (N55)

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,200 Posts
I did work packaging at the end of my career, in which we would distill our experience to build repair instructions from work area isolation, through work area access, procedures, restoration, and retest. A principle was to avoid consequent damages. If something might be damaged then remove it. If something did not need to be disturbed then protect it and leave it in place.

I just looked at 535i TIS 13 71 150 and don’t see how one might get there from 12 12 011 Changing sparkplugs.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
crankcase vent hose is connected to the clean air pipe and the clean air pipe must be removed in order to gain access to the rear most coil and plug. I have done 4 valve cover gasket changes on N54 and N55 engines. Every time that crankcase vent hose. Breaking the nipple on the valve cover is a possibility and it is expensive. The procedure is designed for BMW techs. I suppose they would rather risk breaking crankcase vent hose than the valve cover. I would order the crankcase vent hose (BMW Vent Hose - Genuine BMW 11127584128) before doing the job.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crankcase vent hose is connected to the clean air pipe and the clean air pipe must be removed in order to gain access to the rear most coil and plug. I have done 4 valve cover gasket changes on N54 and N55 engines. Every time that crankcase vent hose. Breaking the nipple on the valve cover is a possibility and it is expensive. The procedure is designed for BMW techs. I suppose they would rather risk breaking crankcase vent hose than the valve cover. I would order the crankcase vent hose (BMW Vent Hose - Genuine BMW 11127584128) before doing the job.
Sorry, can you explain this one more time: in four times you did this job, where have you detached the vent hose - from the valve cover or the clean air pipe? If the risk is to damage the nipple on the valve cover, how would having a spare vent hose help?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The NewTIS explicitly instructs not to detach the engine ventilation line at the cylinder head cover. Yet every single DIY spark plug changing video does exactly that. Like this FCP Euro guy at 3:08 for example.

How come?

Necessary preliminary work:
13 71 150 Removing clean air pipe (N55)
View attachment 1036676
i do not remember for sure whose spark plug guide i followed , but i m 90% certain it was from KIES . did everything step to step as Brian suggested in his video. You could try this, i can confirm that it did work out for me , and i didnt even use an extension that can be bended , on the contrary my extension was a bit bulky and thick , but managed to change all 6 properly.

Hope this can help you

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If the crankcase vent hose is old it will probably break somewhere in the middle no matter which end you remove. Having a spare vent hose will mean that if it breaks you will be able to complete the job and be on your way rather than waiting for a new vent hose to be delivered.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the crankcase vent hose is old it will probably break somewhere in the middle no matter which end you remove. Having a spare vent hose will mean that if it breaks you will be able to complete the job and be on your way rather than waiting for a new vent hose to be delivered.
The cost to recover from the broken vent hose is trivial comparing to the potential to cause damage to the valve cover by detaching the vent hose from it in a way that clearly and explicitly contradicts the TIS instructions.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I don't disagree. I have removed the hose from the valve cover 4 times for valve cover gasket replacement and spark plug changes. I have never broken the valve cover nipple. In any event. If the corrugated part of the crankcase vent hose breaks, you will have to remove it from the valve cover. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just passing along my experience.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't disagree. I have removed the hose from the valve cover 4 times for valve cover gasket replacement and spark plug changes. I have never broken the valve cover nipple. In any event. If the corrugated part of the crankcase vent hose breaks, you will have to remove it from the valve cover. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just passing along my experience.
Much appreciate your help. I am trying to understand if there is any advantage of doing it this way rather than TIS's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts