replacing my return hose starting leaking recently

#7 in diagram

would i have to drain my coolant for this ? since it’s a return hose
IMG_3495.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
You would lose whats in the expansion tank on one end and a good amount of coolant from where it connects to the water pump. The connection on the water pump is pretty narrow so it did not gush out on mine. You could always pump out what is in the expansion tank only, then unclip and hold up that end of the hose. If you could keep that end of the hose up I bet you could attach the new hose to the bottom of the expansion tank and then, with something to catch coolant underneath your car, do a quick off with the old/on with the new at the water pump. The o-rings are built into that hose. I bet you could do it without losing a lot. You could probably even block the connection on the water pump with a gloved finger and lose even less coolant. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
369 Posts
A good rule of thumb: squeeze the hose and see if there's any coolant in it.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, think ima just drain from the radiator so the coolant from the expansion tank is empty and squeeze what’s left from the hose and disconnect the side of the water pump as fast as i can.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
completed the job,

but now another issue has arrived, getting a battery malfunction error, battery voltage isn't being charged, only when I gas it, it will go up 14v but its steady at 12-13v

never had an issue until after I completed the job, what in the world could it be?

- while trying to get the stubborn tube off the water pump, good amount had spilled, but didn't get on the alternator, did get on the crank pulley and belts, but i cleaned up the belts.

- battery is couple months new

- belt is 1-2 months new

why all of sudden would this happen? there has to be a coincidence, but i cant figure it out, maybe some coolant was left over on one of the pulleys and flinged off onto the alternator while taking a drive after I done the job ?

battery post's are tight and good, so no issue there.

In case the alternator did get wet some how, would spraying brake cleaner do any justice to try and dry it up? at least its worth a shot.

Last time i had an issue like this, it was my voltage regulator, the pins were stuck down because of gunk and one of them were broken off, so i swapped it out with a spare regulator from a old alternator I had, but the thing is, how could that be a coincidence that this one failed too all of sudden today after installing the return hose o.0 ?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
How long was the car sitting? Could battery be low in charge when started? From what I know, there is nothing there to drip down onto to mess anything up( no sensors, just closed lines). The alternator should be sealed and not effected. Electrical cleaner would be better than brake cleaner on the alternator from my understanding. That's what I used. My alternator was covered in fresh oil for months and not effected.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long was the car sitting? Could battery be low in charge when started? From what I know, there is nothing there to drip down onto to mess anything up( no sensors, just closed lines). The alternator should be sealed and not effected. Electrical cleaner would be better than brake cleaner on the alternator from my understanding. That's what I used. My alternator was covered in fresh oil for months and not effected.

car was sitting while I was doing the job, but key wasn't in the ignition though, also after doing the job I took it for a 40 min drive, got gas, stopped to get some food, and on the way back home, error showed up, I monitor my data, so I noticed the voltages were a bit low on the way to get gas, didnt think nothing of it, but on the way back home is when it dropped completely to 12v while driving and error showed up on iDrive.

I turned my AC on today too for the first time since it got hot today from it being winter, that's about it, i cant think of nothing else. I'll try to spray some electrical cleaner on it tomorrow see if that does something...

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Don't just take my advice. Wait for others to chime in. I'm speaking from experience but I am not a mechanic. You may get other Answers soon.

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
run it... your belt got wet, that's pretty much all that could have happened...

not to say that another issue didn't arise at the same time.. but run it

you might want to consider replacing as many hoses at the same time as you can,

Its coming.. whether you like it or not..

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
run it... your belt got wet, that's pretty much all that could have happened...

not to say that another issue didn't arise at the same time.. but run it

you might want to consider replacing as many hoses at the same time as you can,

Its coming.. whether you like it or not..

i***8217;ve ran it yesterday for a good while belt was dry after my drive also today i***8217;ve ran it i also tried spraying some electrical cleaner which gave me no luck, voltages keeps going from 11.66 - 11.87

funny thing is this morning from a cold start it stayed at 14v but then dropped back down.

tested the battery it said it***8217;s good but needs charging it was at 50% CCA

going to go charge the battery and see what happens...

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like your belt is slipping from the coolant.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
you think so ?

i thought about that too but belt is dry, i took it off and wiped it my self, and that right there could only be a coincidence, my last voltage regulator, gave me a warning way before it died,

my voltages were all over the place, but my voltages now isn't like that, it acts like it wants to charge but, goes back down or stays in a range, which could mean belt is slipping...

going to go try and spray some of that belt stuff to see if it grips more and see if voltages changes.... brb

·
Gearhead
688 Posts
Have you tried taking the belt off and cleaning it with dish soap? Then clean the pulleys while its off.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried taking the belt off and cleaning it with dish soap? Then clean the pulleys while its off.

no but i can try that next i actually have a spare belt i can try too that still have rubber left

1 - 20 of 26 Posts