BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a misfire on cylinders 1 & 2 after reassembly from the replacement of the coolant transfer tube.

Any ideas guys. I reset VVT, initially a camshaft sensor on bank1 was unplugged but I Fixed and cleared codes. Still have the misfire issue.

Will check the spark plugs after the car has cooled down.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the same thing, great chance to clean things up. The intake manifold gaskets and mating surface were looking pretty bad. Cleaned it up well to ensure a good mating surface for the new intake seal.

Let's hope for fouled plugs

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the plug on 1 & 2 but they look great. With the car running there is no reaction when I disconnect and reconnect the connection on the coil cap.

At this point I'm thinking it may not be getting any fuel. Especially since the intake was off and I did some cleaning on the manifold. Could the injector be junked up to the point of no spraying or would electric be a better bet?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I realy don't think that the injectors got gunked up to the point that they will not spray . Carbon takes time to develop and if they where fine before you pulled out the manifold I don't think that's the case . But if that is what you suspect pull them out and take a look . You can also test them and see if they spray fuel ..

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
N62 Cylinder 1 & 2 misfire after reasembly

Yeah, that makes since. Any debris I might have moved around would be blasted away by the stream of high pressure fuel. Ugh, so back to ignition, why would two cylinders act up. Need to trace wiring for those coil packs since so much of the wiring harness is moved In the process of removing the intake.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Did you leave rail and the injectors in the manifold or did you remove the rail from the manifold when you took it out ? Check those two injector plugs and wires . If you think it's a fuel issue pull the rails with the injectors and make sure all the injectors are spraying fuel . And if it's a spark issue switch the coils around to determine if the misfire follows the coils .

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Another option is instead of moving coils around . You can also just pull out the #1& 2 coil and plug ,test to see if there is spark at the plug . Just get a screw driver and ground the plug to the block . Have someone turn the key and you should see a spark on the plug ..

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I would check all the connector plugs and get some contact cleaner and clean them all out .
If no 1 just started firing , it think it could be a connection issue . Did you check the no 2 plug for spark ?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had to leave the house for a bit so I still need to check for spark.

On reassembly I was using CRC QD electronic cleaner on all connectors and a little dielectric grease on the connector seals.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, it has spark and is getting a little smoother. In INPA the smoothness value has improved but it is out of line with the others, I'm going to get a few spark plugs and see if the helps. It is drive able and no longer throws a misfire code so I guess all of the cleaner I sprayed in ports and into the intake in general might have done it in.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
N62 Cylinder 1 & 2 misfire after reasembly

Sorry, I cleaned the ports on the intake side as well as the head with cleaners and towels. That would explain cylinder 1 clearing on its own. Going grocery shop in a bit and I'll buy some plugs.

Just glad to have my car back. Was driving my dads 1999 Buick Century. No comparison.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.