BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
L14LIFE
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm a new sposnor here on the forum and I wanted to let anyone in the SoCal area with the dreaded smoking issue know I'm available to help. I have a fully equipped shop located in Corona, CA and can take care of this common issue as well as most any service you may need. I'm and ASE certified Master Technician with Advanced Level Certification and have been a tech for nearly 30 years.

All services begin with a complete diagnosis to be sure it's indeed the valve guides seals that have failed and to also determine if any additional repairs are necessary, such as the secondary air passages that can become plugged on the earlier cars. If you're just in need of the stem seals, $2500 covers the labor, updated valve stem seals, both valve cover gaskets, new CCV diaphragms, NGK plugs, an oil and filter service and tax.

The repair takes a few day to complete. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or to schedule an appointment.

Thanks! -Harry

·
L14LIFE
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What method do you use on the secondary air clogged ports ?
Under normal circumstances I'll go in with the brush from the top. That's gotten the ones I've done so far. Otherwise I'd go in through the exhaust port with the pick to clean out the ports. No need to remove and disassemble the heads in most cases.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Are you willing to travel? There's a guy near me in Seattle that's offering this service but wants $4500, quite a bit more than your $2500.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Under normal circumstances I'll go in with the brush from the top. That's gotten the ones I've done so far. Otherwise I'd go in through the exhaust port with the pick to clean out the ports. No need to remove and disassemble the heads in most cases.
There is a secondary air hook tool that gets all the way up the exhaust port into the main chamber by All German auto when the brush kit don't get the job done .

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Hook-Tool-Sec...engines-Professional-/271734644231?nav=SEARCH

·
Registered
779 Posts
Are you willing to travel? There's a guy near me in Seattle that's offering this service but wants $4500, quite a bit more than your $2500.
Really? this as mobile job? $2500 for the job, $1200 for travel/lodging expenses, and $5000 for the two valve stem seals jobs he gives up by spending two days driving to SEA. It sounds like $8700 done in your driveway.

Pack your stuff, drive, drop the car, get Enterprise to pick you up, and enjoy SC for a couple of days and then pocket the leftover cash.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Really? this as mobile job? $2500 for the job, $1200 for travel/lodging expenses, and $5000 for the two valve stem seals jobs he gives up by spending two days driving to SEA. It sounds like $8700 done in your driveway.

Pack your stuff, drive, drop the car, get Enterprise to pick you up, and enjoy SC for a couple of days and then pocket the leftover cash.
I was asking because I believe the guy on the east coast does travel. My math went something like this, Seattle is a $15 1-hour ferry ride away, plane ticket from LAX or SAN to SEA is AT MOST $350, lodging and food, lets say about $300 for two days. So all in $3150. Saves a good bit over $4500 and he would lose almost no time since it will be a total of about 8 hours travel from airport to my house and back to the original airport.

·
L14LIFE
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was asking because I believe the guy on the east coast does travel. My math went something like this, Seattle is a $15 1-hour ferry ride away, plane ticket from LAX or SAN to SEA is AT MOST $350...
I wouldn't rule out travel for more than one vehicle or generous compensation, but I think we're missing the big problem for this Southern California boy...

I have the shop heater running full blast at anything below 55°! I don't think I'd do so good in Seattle

·
L14LIFE
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...So all in $3150. Saves a good bit over $4500 and he would lose almost no time since it will be a total of about 8 hours travel from airport to my house and back to the original airport.
You could look into shipping the car to my shop. I couldn't say for sure but $1000 might be a doable round trip cost. You'd still be a thousand dollars ahead of you're best local price.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi ABT Auto ( Harry) ,

What other services do you provide?

I happen to be in so cal and would need the valve stem seals done soon as well so definitely good to know that's something you can do .

How about alignments? That something your shop can do as well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a bumper to bumper shop and do just about everything in house. Alignments are performed next door and smogs just down the street.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to make an appointment after the new year.
It sure is nice that someone with your BMW skills dont try and rob on prices. I have had 3 estimates and so far every one of them has been thousands off from each other. This job really aint that technical in my opinion and just takes a little time. I would do mine myself but struggle with cronic back pain and nerve damage , so i pretty much cant work bent over for a day and a half. Sure wish you were closer :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Harry, does your offer still stand?

ABT Automotive,

I purchased a 2008 550i with about 30,000 miles back in September. I've driven the car about 7,000 miles since. Unfortunately, I've noticed more and more white smoke coming from the exhaust after idling for extended periods of time. The issue has definitely worsened in the past couple months. Sounds like bad valve stem seals, correct? I'm pretty bummed as 37,000 miles seems early to need such a job, but I suppose it's simply the result of being a 9 year old car.

I'm curious if your offer to complete the valve stem seal job still stands. If so, I'd like to touch base.

·
L14LIFE
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ABT Automotive,

I purchased a 2008 550i with about 30,000 miles back in September. I've driven the car about 7,000 miles since. Unfortunately, I've noticed more and more white smoke coming from the exhaust after idling for extended periods of time. The issue has definitely worsened in the past couple months. Sounds like bad valve stem seals, correct? I'm pretty bummed as 37,000 miles seems early to need such a job, but I suppose it's simply the result of being a 9 year old car.

I'm curious if your offer to complete the valve stem seal job still stands. If so, I'd like to touch base.
The offer still stands. I sent you a PM. Thanks!

·
L14LIFE
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry I haven't been active for a while. I'm currently available to do The seal job if anyone is in need.. you can text or call me directly at 714-510-4327. Please leave a message if I'm unavailable when you call. Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts