BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 645Ci with the N62 engine.

This engine has a tendency to plug up the Secondary Air passages in the heads. I've tried the scheme with flushing & brushing the passages, but no luck. One indy mechanic I trust quoted $1,000 to pull the manifold & clear out the passages manually. More if he has to pull the head.

Finally found a practical way to get the DEM updated and end the code s & CEL.

There is a tuner in Greensboro, North Carolina called Reflect Tuning. Hes is also an eBay vendor going by "aliffm627". I bought the service on eBay to update the DEM (engine control computer) to what he calls a factory update that disables the Secondary Air.

Cost was just about $200 with my shipping. Turnaround was about 4 days.

The update worked perfectly. After a 3 days of driving, the OBD2 showed emissions as ready (except for Evaporation System which takes longer & is not needed in CT Emission).

No Check Engine Light any more & car went through CT emissions today.

His price is much better that the price charge by the only other competitor I could find, Mesa Blackworks at $550 for what sounds similar.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,332 Posts
This is the 1st I have heard of this, sounds good. Not sure why that would effect the Evap system, unless it is something in his programming? This will save a lot of owners with the 645 a lot of headaches & money.

Good Find!

·
Super Moderator
1,883 Posts
It's actually something I've thought of often but wouldn't know where to look for it.
As some of you know my SAS hasn't worked for around four years and I've never had a CEL come on for it, I'm convinced there's a difference here between UK and US spec mapping (not sure on other countries as I don't know what their emissions checks are), this guy's obviously found it and is either remapping the car to our spec or knocking it out altogether, could be a good option for you guys across the pond as we know a failed SAS doesn't harm the engine. The secondary air is hardly ever brought up on UK forums as we simply don't bother with it if it fails.

·
Super Moderator
8,332 Posts
This sounds a lot like one of our forum members " schpenxel " might be involved, since he lives in the same town & had a theory how to do this years ago.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It looks like that should be him, & he did quite a bit of work on his engine. He is pretty sharp.
It appears so: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2523191-shifting-problem-question.html
On mine it started not being able to get into gear from a stop when cold.. would work decently after being warmed up. It slowly deteriorated from there though to the point that I could barely get out of the parking lot one morning.

And I happened to be in college and in desperate need to get a girl from the night before back to her place before my gf showed up when it really started to go out hahahaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts