Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have coolant coming from the rear weep hole. I assumed from every post on every forum that said coolant was coming from the transfer pipe under the valley cover, and purchased the pipe kit from URO.

I just removed the valley cover and cut out the old pipe, only to discover that there is coolant on both sides of the rear pipe seal. There's coolant in the valley, which goes to the outlet at the top front connecting to the water pump, and behind the valley where the transfer pipe feeds coolant from the water pump.

So, I am deducing that the rear weep hole can not be connected to the transfer pipe. Would anyone "in the know" clue me in? Of course that includes the possibility I'm wrong in my assumption.

Where does coolant come from which exits through the rear weep hole?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
685 Posts
There is another cover/seal at the back of the engine, it’s called the “rear end cover”. The complete transmission and flex plate need to be removed to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
276 Posts
Uggh. Thanks. Another gift from heaven on this POS engine.
I really don't want to be THAT guy but I've never came across a post on here about a rear weep hole. If you have coolant leaking from the rear of the engine, it's usually the rear coolant cover or very rarely the valley pan cover gasket on top.

This kind of BMW gets expensive to own when you start throwing parts/repairs at it. I would recommend you find a good independent shop to help you maintain this car so you can avoid this kind of situation in the future and save you all the headaches.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Uggh. Thanks. Another gift from heaven on this POS engine.

Coolant at the rear can be a few things. A valley pan cover leak usually shows at the back. The rear cover leaks inside thnebellnhousing and shows at the holes at the botton where engine and tranny meet. But there are also heater hoses that can leak and drip down to where you see it.

Good diagnosis is key. A pressure test followed by an hour of peeking and gazing everywhere you can (mirrors and flashlight) seems a good start to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
29 Posts
More than likely it's not as bad as you think. Consider replacing the valley pan and gasket, not just the coolant transfer pipe. This is what I did last week. So far so good. To be safe, use BMW coolant and distilled water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts