Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 just passed 90K miles recently. It was really cold yesterday (not sure if it is relevant...) and once the car dropped down to normal idle speed, I heard slow interval knock. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the block so I am guessing it is the water pump or one of the other pulleys.

Can I do a simple diagnosis by slipping the belt off and free spinning the water pump by hand and check for excessive bearing wobble?
Any other components to check?

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of them have been done with other various jobs. Upper/supply when I did the radiator fan. Lower/return last month when I replaced the thermostat because I knew it would shred itself when I tried to remove it. Upper head vents with the coolant pipe fix. I am starting to think that the cooling system might be a weak point on BMWs.....

·
Gearhead
688 Posts
You can get an aftermarket pump, but buy real BMW seals and water pipe. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Gearhead
688 Posts
I'm talking about the little rubber coated one. Just fixed it literally 30 minutes ago. I bought the aftermarket one and it wasn't worth a crap. Make sure you clean all the mating surfaces well.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts