BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've heard, is it true that the N62TU engine came equipped with an engine oil cooler?

Just wanted to see if anyone could confirm this.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes the 4.8 motor has a oil cooler and the 4.4 doesn't.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yes the 4.8 motor has a oil cooler and the 4.4 doesn't.
You are correct when those engines are used in the 5-series.
However, the 4.4L engine came with an oil cooler when used in the 7-series.

The alternator bracket (and nightmare profile gasket under it) cover the oil cooler pickup point in the block when the oil cooler is not used in the 5-series.

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct when those engines are used in the 5-series.
However, the 4.4L engine came with an oil cooler when used in the 7-series.

The alternator bracket (and nightmare profile gasket under it) cover the oil cooler pickup point in the block when the oil cooler is not used in the 5-series.
Does the N62B48 in the 6 Series have an oil cooler?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
USAF Pararescue Veteran
2,199 Posts
The oil cooler, from what I understand, was intended to reduce the likely hood of needing valve seals replaced after 100k miles. It does not, however, eliminate the need to replace the alternator bracket gasket, that still fails (as many friends with 750s can attest to).

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The oil cooler, from what I understand, was intended to reduce the likely hood of needing valve seals replaced after 100k miles. It does not, however, eliminate the need to replace the alternator bracket gasket, that still fails (as many friends with 750s can attest to).
Yeah, I have never really looked at the components in the oil pickup assembly on the 4.8L. If the alternator in the same place?
Is the profile gasket exactly the same one as on the 4.4L?

·
USAF Pararescue Veteran
2,199 Posts
Yeah, I have never really looked at the components in the oil pickup assembly on the 4.8L. If the alternator in the same place?
Is the profile gasket exactly the same one as on the 4.4L?
I don't recall if they are the same part #'s but they are pretty much the exact same shape (the 545's gasket goes around where the cooler lines enter the block). Pretty much the change procedure is the same, it's a PITA, except you have to get the cooler lines out of the way.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I don't recall if they are the same part #'s but they are pretty much the exact same shape (the 545's gasket goes around where the cooler lines enter the block). Pretty much the change procedure is the same, it's a PITA, except you have to get the cooler lines out of the way.
It is one of the top three I hope to never have to do. There other two are the starter and oil pan gasket. They look like just plain ugly DIYs.

·
BMW Master Wannabe
442 Posts
The 4.4 L 2004 & 2005 5 series had the oil cooler removed. It was offered on cars in very hot climates, ie, Middle East and other similar climates. The cars in the states had it blocked off by the alternator bracket. Since when is summer months in South Florida not considered hot. Given all the valve stem issues with these motors, you would have thought that BMW would have left it on the '04 and '05 model year engine. '06 they did add it back. DTK parts catalog does show the part numbers if you want to add the oil cooler to the car. pretty cost prohibitive though. Might be able to find the parts on an '06 550 from salvage place for a good price.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The 4.4 L 2004 & 2005 5 series had the oil cooler removed. It was offered on cars in very hot climates, ie, Middle East and other similar climates. The cars in the states had it blocked off by the alternator bracket. Since when is summer months in South Florida not considered hot. Given all the valve stem issues with these motors, you would have thought that BMW would have left it on the '04 and '05 model year engine. '06 they did add it back. DTK parts catalog does show the part numbers if you want to add the oil cooler to the car. pretty cost prohibitive though. Might be able to find the parts on an '06 550 from salvage place for a good price.
Has anyone documented the difference in oil temperature with the cooler and without? It gets a little toasty here in Phoenix too!

I run M1 0W-40 to get a little better HTHS advantage, and use 5K drain intervals because they say every 10 degrees increase in sustained oil temperature doubles the oxidation rate of oil.

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone documented the difference in oil temperature with the cooler and without? It gets a little toasty here in Phoenix too!

I run M1 0W-40 to get a little better HTHS advantage, and use 5K drain intervals because they say every 10 degrees increase in sustained oil temperature doubles the oxidation rate of oil.
The highest oil temperature I have seen on my 650i was 245 degrees Fahrenheit and that occurred during a hard run in the mountain roads with the outside temperature being 100 degrees Fahrenheit on a summer day.

I like German Castrol(0W-30) or Motul X-Cess 5W-40. I may get a sample sent Blackstone Labs for a used oil analysis on the next oil change.

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't seen an N62TU with the valve stem seal issue yet, however valve cover gaskets and other gaskets still do tend to leak.

·
DIY'er
3,437 Posts
I haven't seen an N62TU with the valve stem seal issue yet, however valve cover gaskets and other gaskets still do tend to leak.

They are out there.... maybe not as common, but they are still starting to fail / leak / smoke like the 545i's

I have thought about adding the oil cooler to my 545i while I have it apart, but at this point I am so far over budget I'm not sure I want to even bother

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They are out there.... maybe not as common, but they are still starting to fail / leak / smoke like the 545i's

I have thought about adding the oil cooler to my 545i while I have it apart, but at this point I am so far over budget I'm not sure I want to even bother
It's only a matter of time until those guys with the N63 engines start having issues like us N62 owners. Actually, I do remember seeing two E60 550is with blue smoke.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks Gentlemen for all your excellent Threads! Just got a 550i 2009 from a BMW dealer. Told the Dealer service Department about the N62B48Tu Head seals and what did they do? Said don't worry; we'll do the 32) Valve Stem Seals, Gaskets, Upper Timing Cover Gasket, new Spark Plug Tubes, New Brake Boost Vacuum Pump cause of seal, new Plugs, Coolant, Oil, New Bolts where needed, and checked Cylinders with leak down test and compression test all because the right Head valve gasket had a small leak!!! 6,800 dollar job. There was no blue or any excessive smoke at exhaust. It is a CPO with 53k miles. Needless to say I think that BMW Dealer in Princeton, NJ is a great example of how they go the Extra Mile and make sure they keep their BMW owners happy! Cost me 50.00 dollars. So far so good! When I get more road time with her; I am sending them all Christmas / Thank you cards to Salesman Joe, Service Adviser Lewis, and Service Dept. Mechanic Steve. The M Leather Driving just purchased from them will be enjoyed! Asked them about the Valve Guides? Said they checked them and are okay. Happy Holidays! Dan

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Hey bimmer fan ,, I think it's very much doable , as they are pretty much the same block . Motor mounts are the same and exhaust . The only difference that I'm aware of is the b48 has two disa motors on the intake manifold which would require the harness . Also the secondary air, I'm pretty sure can be programmed off . I'm thinking also it might work to use the same DME on the car that the new engine came from in order for the second disa motor to be recognized. Once programmed to you're vin . I kno some one who could prolly answer that question that does DME work ,, weather you can use you're old DME and program it or the one with the new engine is needed .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.