BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it possible to swap the 4.8 ltr engine in the X5, the N62B48, into an E39 540i?

PS: Please let's keep this thread about the electronic, mechanical and technical details not the "it's not worth it" or "why" or "do an LSx swap". I'm just trying to see how similar the M62 and the N62 4.8 is and if the electronics could be reprogrammed for it.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is possible anything is. But you will have to do a full swap of harness, computer, etc.
The only reason I though about it is because the X5 had the 4.4 we have and the 4.8. Currently my engine might be stuffed so if I do a swap then why not this. I found a 4.8 for the same price as an M62. My question is what do you mean by swapping everything including the harness and computers. Wouldn't this pretty much make some things in the car not work etc since it's a harness from a completely different car. Sorry for the vague questions, I'm just not very knowledgeable about the electronics side of things.

· FTW Trump 2020!
1,170 Posts
Hey some people on bf.com have swapped in chevy corvette engines so anything is possible. I would assume the x5 came in auto only so dont expect to go 6 speed with it.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey some people on bf.com have swapped in chevy corvette engines so anything is possible. I would assume the x5 came in auto only so dont expect to go 6 speed with it.
This engine was in the 550i E60 as well. It was offered in 6 speed manual and 6 speed auto. I actually like the auto in my car. I want to use this car for DD and I just can't do manual for DD. I love manual but on a DD hell no. The N62B48 has alot more power than the M62 and it's the same price for an engine swap which just about looks like I need one. My motor is trashed. I just don't see why this isn't a good idea. I just need some help understanding the electronic issues and such.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
I think the only bigger direct swap engine you will find is the m62tub46 from the x5 4.6is. That will swap with same harness and everything. Yes the x5 had the m62 generation motors but the n62 is completely different. The n62 is double vanos and runs a different computer the me9.5 I think. Harness would have to be different to have the additional control of 2 more vanos solenoids and 2 more cam sensors I would imagine. It would be a really big project. It is certainly a lot more than just put the engine in and attach your harness... The 4.6 would allow you to do this but good luck finding an m62tub46. It is possible just not straight forward and easy... You would also need the EWS from the n62 and probably other modules and harnesses because you are right and they wouldn't talk with one another most likely.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the only bigger direct swap engine you will find is the m62tub46 from the x5 4.6is. That will swap with same harness and everything. Yes the x5 had the m62 generation motors but the n62 is completely different. The n62 is double vanos and runs a different computer the me9.5 I think. Harness would have to be different to have the additional control of 2 more vanos solenoids and 2 more cam sensors I would imagine. It would be a really big project. It is certainly a lot more than just put the engine in and attach your harness... The 4.6 would allow you to do this but good luck finding an m62tub46. It is possible just not straight forward and easy... You would also need the EWS from the n62 and probably other modules and harnesses because you are right and they wouldn't talk with one another most likely.
Thanks for explaining it to me properly and straight forward. I see the issue now as it has to deal with additional sensors and what not. I only suggested it because of the X5 having them both. Is the 4.6 in the X5 based on the 4.4 only stroked or bored? I'm thinking about doing a bored and stroked M62. Do you think there is enough clearance for boring or is it thin enough as it is. Maybe it could be sleeved. What about stroking. I don't know the travel of the current stroke. I would love to build a 5 ltr M62 to make ~370hp crank which would be perfect with an auto. I like the E39 M5 but it's just not for me. There's a company that claims to make 600hp NA "race M62" motors so maybe a bored/stroked M62 making only 370hp isn't impossible.

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m60--m62-race-engines-p1448.aspx

· Registered
1,254 Posts
That m62 4.6 is basically a bored and stroked from factory version of the 4.4 it is pretty much the motor in the alpina! The m62 can certainly be bored and stroked but for a price. The cylinders are plated to harden the combustion chamber an this is not easy to do and most places will sleeve when you mod this motor. It is really expensive to do this like on the order of $10k or more... You need the CNC work done plus all custom parts plus a custom tune. VAC is one of the best around and they do a fair number of these motors they call the m6x. What is wrong with the motor you have now? If your block is good VAC will make performance heads for you and you can raise the redline thereby increasing power. The "cheapest" option would be to supercharge a 4.4.

Or you can do as David on here did and bore/stroke to 4.9 and then supercharge he put down like 590rwhp hahaha he sold that car but you can find his build thread and the struggles involved. Modifying these are hard and time consuming.

If you take a naturally aspirated 540 with headers, high flow exhaust, high flow intake and a tune you can get up to 350hp/370ft-lbs at crank. That is where my car was at before the SC install.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That m62 4.6 is basically a bored and stroked from factory version of the 4.4 it is pretty much the motor in the alpina! The m62 can certainly be bored and stroked but for a price. The cylinders are plated to harden the combustion chamber an this is not easy to do and most places will sleeve when you mod this motor. It is really expensive to do this like on the order of $10k or more... You need the CNC work done plus all custom parts plus a custom tune. VAC is one of the best around and they do a fair number of these motors they call the m6x. What is wrong with the motor you have now? If your block is good VAC will make performance heads for you and you can raise the redline thereby increasing power. The "cheapest" option would be to supercharge a 4.4.

Or you can do as David on here did and bore/stroke to 4.9 and then supercharge he put down like 590rwhp hahaha he sold that car but you can find his build thread and the struggles involved. Modifying these are hard and time consuming.

If you take a naturally aspirated 540 with headers, high flow exhaust, high flow intake and a tune you can get up to 350hp/370ft-lbs at crank. That is where my car was at before the SC install.
Well I'm looking for around 370 crank HP. My only issue with the SC is that it's not a Twin Screw. Centrifugal units are peaky and what I need is low end torque and some good power up top. How much do you think a VAC built M62 making 370hp would cost? I'm gonna call VAC today. I have a big problem though. I'm in Australia and the shipping and distance issue is gonna gut me.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Funny you say that I am moving to Oz in September and trying to figure out how to get my 540 there as company will ship it :) seems there is provisions to have it on road since I have owned and rego'd it here for more than 12 months and it will be my personal car. I here 540i6 are rare to non-existent there. It is LHD so that would be the only real hurdle.

VAC does amazing work but they are pricey. You can probably get to big numbers with just their performance heads. Maybe just buy the piece parts and have someone local to you do the CNC work (bore/stroke, port/polish) so you can fit VACs pistons, sleeves, cams, spring, valves, lifters. Would save a fortune on shipping to just buy the lighter stuff. I would think any good shop could do the CNC work.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's awesome, what part of Australia are you coming to. It would be good to meet up. Cars are really expensive here though, we have insane taxes. If your car is built and custom I think bringing it would be a good idea since it will cost you alot to buy another and build it. Just make sure you have found out every single cost since customs and transport here desperately want to squeeze more money out of you. Make sure the car is spotless, literally not a grain of dirt since quarantine will make sure to check every part. Not sure about the cost of LHD to RHD but maybe sell your LHD dash and everything you don't need and buy them here as RHD. It's gonna be a bit of a hassle but your car looks clean and you sound like you have done some great work to it so by all means welcome. I'm in Sydney by the way.

Going back to topic I wouldn't mind spending 5-10k honestly if I can get a good solid 370hp. My other worry is the gearbox, I suspect it would need to be reinforced. Not sure about a shop that would do the sleeving and rebuild. I'll look around.

As for 2JZ or LSx I just don't wanna go that route, I'm no fanboy but I want to keep this a BMW in every way including the engine. A 2JZ would just ruin the car especially for a DD like I want it. I know the 2JZ is an amazing engine but let's be honest, unless you wanna make 1000hp it's not worth it. As for the LSx, it will gain much more HP but it's not gonna be cheap. I'm not gonna fit some old LS1, LS2 or LS3 in the car then have to worry about the electronics and what not.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Yes there is a lot to consider for sure. I will be in NT in Alice for a couple years then we plan to move up to the Gold Coast. Whether I keep it here until then bring it to Alice with the dust and just leave it covered in my carport convert or not convert...I think there is something about a LHD Germany car made in Germany...like a RHD antique English car made in England... Anyways my time is running short and need to come up with a decision soon...my company helps and I can import duty free so long as I don't try to sell it.

Anyways, what year is you 540? Is it vanos or not? One major thing with squeezing power out of this is emissions. You can get a stock 540 to output pretty respectable numbers NA but at the expense of emissions. Headers on these cars (especially the vanos models) really bring that motor to life. Adding high flow cats and mufflers will cause you to fail emissions depending on how they do it...but there are gains to be had by doing so.

If you can do headers/high flow cats/muffler do that and then raise your redline. Non-vanos you can convert to solid lifters beefy springs, and aggressive cams to really raise the limit. VAC has all that for non-vanos. Raising the rev limiter and high flow exhaust and intake... You will make over 370hp. Then you will need someone to tune it.

Depending on the condition of your block you could probably get away with just doing the heads and leave the block be.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes there is a lot to consider for sure. I will be in NT in Alice for a couple years then we plan to move up to the Gold Coast. Whether I keep it here until then bring it to Alice with the dust and just leave it covered in my carport convert or not convert...I think there is something about a LHD Germany car made in Germany...like a RHD antique English car made in England... Anyways my time is running short and need to come up with a decision soon...my company helps and I can import duty free so long as I don't try to sell it.

Anyways, what year is you 540? Is it vanos or not? One major thing with squeezing power out of this is emissions. You can get a stock 540 to output pretty respectable numbers NA but at the expense of emissions. Headers on these cars (especially the vanos models) really bring that motor to life. Adding high flow cats and mufflers will cause you to fail emissions depending on how they do it...but there are gains to be had by doing so.

If you can do headers/high flow cats/muffler do that and then raise your redline. Non-vanos you can convert to solid lifters beefy springs, and aggressive cams to really raise the limit. VAC has all that for non-vanos. Raising the rev limiter and high flow exhaust and intake... You will make over 370hp. Then you will need someone to tune it.

Depending on the condition of your block you could probably get away with just doing the heads and leave the block be.
My car is a 2000 model which I believe does have VANOS. We don't have emissions here so it's no problem as long as it's not too loud. I don't want to get pulled over for the sound and I daily drive it so I do want it to be reasonably quiet.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
What about your tranny? How well do Automatics hold up to power?
They will handle it some folks have the blown 540iA with around 500hp no problem....if you go more than this maybe an issue but if you are looking to stay under 400 you will have no issues at all.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
I don't really know what the max power the auto can take. Not many autos really are pushing the power that I know about. I don't know what can be done really. This is totally different but there are transmission tunes out there for the auto for higher horsepower and performance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.