Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever thought about plugging this extra jug that captures air right before it hits the throttle body ?

or is there a important cause to have this ?

it reminds of the same thing that's on the e39's, but instead on the e39's u were able to take the bottom piece off and cap it off, which gave better air travel to the throttle body and sounded better too. No air being trapped.

I thought about filling it up with toilet paper but that's silly and air will still travel into the box hence the paper being too thin, also thought about play dough, but play dough would cause more harm than toilet paper in case it gets sucked in.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
995 Posts
It's a muffler of sort. Doesn't make a difference performance wise. I wouldn't plug it with anything from the inside as you are risking the possibility of objects entering the intake manifold.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a muffler of sort. Doesn't make a difference performance wise. I wouldn't plug it with anything from the inside as you are risking the possibility of objects entering the intake manifold.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Yea i know it doesn't make any performance, but I remember when I deleted the muffler on my e39 and it made it sound better under load.... Wonder if this would do the same. But dont know what I can close it off with.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,986 Posts
Silly BMW engineers, always installing extra parts just to drive up the price.

It is not a muffler/resonator and it is not a flow restriction. There are perfectly good and usable thumbrules for flow restrictions.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Silly BMW engineers, always installing extra parts just to drive up the price.

It is not a muffler/resonator and it is not a flow restriction. There are perfectly good and usable thumbrules for flow restrictions.
It is a resonator but not in it's basic sense and yes it is about flow restriction or reduction thereof. In other words, it's all about air travel and bounce-back. While the sound dampening is a side effect and perhaps a good one for a luxury sedan, the main purpose of this resonator/muffler is to reduce bounce-back pressure from the engine back into the air intake tube. Once again, YES IT IS A RESONATOR. "Thumbrules" rule in a perfect sense of imperfect essence Mr. Doug Huffman.

-oldiegoodie

·
Under the lift arms
12,914 Posts
I wouldnt not modify the intake, But replace it.. with a aluminum tube

·
Under the lift arms
12,914 Posts
i doubt it..

realistically just for more room

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,924 Posts
Look up a thing called resonant frequency.
As the rpm increases, at a point the engine passes this resonant frequency and causes uneccessary vibration. This part is designed to dampen that.

You can find people who removed this part on google (maybe not specifically on the n62). Many put it back.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,986 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts