Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 2140 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my car in yesterday and my service advisor said there is a recall on the n63 motor that he hadn't seen before.
Details were limited but he said they have to test a bunch of the parameters on how the engine performs, send that data to BMW and depending on what they see, BMW may require the dealer to replace certain components of the engine. Said this could take several days to complete.

This is all I've got for now. Hoping I'll get some additional details as the week progresses. I'll update thread. Wondering if this has anything to do with the injectors?
Anyone else heard or aware of this recall?

·
Registered
889 Posts
looks like it will affect my 650i grancoupe

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,004 Posts
Just the N63 and not the N63 TU?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would definitely like to find out more about this. I will be taking my car in for service soon and would like this done if it affects my car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm going way out on a limb and say it's related to the Drive Train Malfunction issues people are seeing. At least I hope it is. Had all my 550ix fuel injectors replaced (which takes a few days) to fix. For all I know though, this could be the coolant lines under the turbo I had replaced 2 weeks ago (which takes a couple of days to fix). Who knows, but I thought I would start with something near and dear to me.

-gh

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Well, my 7 is in for a timing chain recall, day 3 now (although it is a holiday week), the suspense is killing me!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would wonder if this is NOT true! I had my engine replaced after 20k miles!

Had several problems with that drivetrain malfunction etc… service couldnt find anything until one day the imp lamp went on etc… found out later pieces of metal in the engine oil!

My SA assumed that this came from the timing chain belt! Anyways.. was out of warranty, however BMW paid everything out of courtesy (was more then 30k Euros)…new turbos, new injectors etc…SA said that they have more and more cases like this on 550's…

Shocking! breaking down a V8 engine after 20k miles…

Hope the new engines is going better.. 1k miles and all good so far...

·
Registered
66 Posts
7 Series forum indicated it was called the "N63 Customer Care Package" details below:

"This is a 2-part campaign by BMW for cars with the N63 engine. It was announced on 12/29/2014 and called "N63 Customer Care Package", bulletin B001314. The highlights are:

- check the timing chain for stretch; replace if necessary
- check the following items and replace if necessary: fuel injectors, mass air flow sensors, crankcase vent lines, battery, engine vacuum pump, low pressure fuel sensor
- change the oil service interval to 12 months/10,000 miles

Even if your car is out of warranty (ie, 5 years old and has 200k miles), it is covered by this campaign and costs the owner nothing. The dealers are instructed to call all N63 owners in their area and schedule the cars to come in for this service, pending the dealership's availability. The dealership is instructed to provide a loaner car of equal or higher class to the customer (per N63 Customer Care Package Outbound Service Script document).

BMW is also offering extra incentives for owners affected by this campaign to trade in their N63 vehicle and purchase a new car (called the N63 Customer Loyalty Offer, details in a separate sales bulletin).

Also associated with this campaign is the "N63 Customer Appreciation Program". The dealerships are authorized to provide the customer with a gift of $50 value. This could be a gas card, gift bag containing BMW Lifestyle products, vehicle detailing, etc."

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm very interested in the trade in program. Any other details on that yet?

1 - 20 of 2140 Posts