BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 750Li gave a Drive Train Malfunction warning the other night. It immediately stopped firing the entire left bank of cylinders. I took it to the dealership and after $2300 in diagnostics they are telling me my timing chain guides broke and the chain jumped a tooth. Apparently, it also bent the valve on the number 8 cylinder. The dealership is quoting over $15,000 for the repair. What I'm wondering is would a stretched timing chain cause something like this? I had the CCP done in June and they said the timing chain was ok. Has anyone else had timing chain issues after the CCP?

·
whughes
2,065 Posts
holy sh%$#! batman. this is the first I have heard of this much damage, certainly sounds like a stretched chain. how many miles since CCP?

·
Registered
2014 750Li Individual
220 Posts
I'd say they misdiagnosed the timing chain condition during the CCP. You have a solid case and need to escalate it to BMWNA Customer Relations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've spoken to BMWNA and the Service Manager at my dealership has requested that the BMW's Service Rep for the region come and evaluate my car to see if they agree that it's due to a stretched timing chain. I'll let you know what the result is. Unfortunately, since we're in the path of Hurricane Irma it might take some time to get done.

·
whughes
2,065 Posts
good luck, let us know what they say

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just heard back from the dealership this morning. BMWNA has agreed to pay 75% of the repair cost as a good will gesture. They didn't even send anyone out to look at the car. This tells me that they know it's an issue with their timing chain.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The timing chain was one of the main parts to be checked on the list of CCP issues. The dealer who did your CCP was supposed to check your timing chain and now 4000 miles later you have a timing chain failure and BMW says they will only charge you 25% as a gesture of good will to replace it which would have been no cost 4000 miles ago? :tsk:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what you mean. Supposedly the timing chain was checked during the CCP and was within parameters. Whatever that means. We are still negotiating the cost because I was already at $2300 in diagnostic charges for them to determine what was wrong with the car. Initially, they've said those aren't included in the repairs that BMW is covering. I disagree with that. Everything related to this should be included. I've driven a 750 for the past 10 years and was in the process of shopping for a 2016 or newer one when this happened. At this point, I'm reconsidering that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got my car back yesterday after 25 days. They pulled the engine and transmission out. Replaced all exhaust valves on bank 2, the timing chains, engine cooler lines and did an oil change. Total cost: $13,105.32. BMWNA paid 75% of that. Part of the job required them to replace every seal on the engine except for the valve seals on bank 1. I paid an additional $2080.14 for that. Total repair cost came to $15,185.46. My bill was $5356.27.

An hour after I left the dealership I got another Drivetrain Malfunction. I took the car back and now I have a fuel sensor out. The dealership is fixing it for the cost of the part, no labor charge. Unfortunately, the part won't be in until Monday. I may have the car back Tuesday. When I pick it up it's going to my mechanic to have the front thrust arm bushings, alternator belt tensioner pully replaced and both front door panels replaced. After that, new Pirelli P Zero are going on. That's another $4500 in costs.

Since the last week of May when the CCP was done, this car will have had almost $28,000 in repairs and maintenance. The dealership is trying to sell me a 2018 M760i for $187000 and will only give my $15000 on a trade in. I love these cars, but I'm seriously considering going a different route with my next car.

·
Registered
497 Posts
personally if I was considering another bimmer i would wait till after leases are up i cant see spending that kind of break for something that will lose damn near half its value within 3 years, I do love the look of the G series though but these v8's just dnt give me the piece of mind, but it is love hate relationship.. Glad you got things figured out and hopefully you can enjoy the car for a few years worry free.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.