Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been at a reputable German shop now for 8 weeks and I'm not getting anywhere. It first appeared like a bad fuel injector as I completely lost power and exhaust poured out white smoke that smelled like pure gasoline. They said they did a diagnostic and determined 1 bad injector and 3 more that were "going bad" and because I didn't talk to the actual tech but the service advisor I am assuming that meant 3 of the injectors weren't measuring within tolerance. They ordered the injectors and when they arrived and starting to install they realized that "something" was in the cylinder and I needed a new engine. They said it would be $5,500 for engine + $4,500 labor. I can't get them to tell me what exactly is the diagnosis that is leading them to tell me this.

I called a BMW dealer with a good reputation that's further away and they attempted to help but said the N63TU engine in 2014 isn't covered in any of the recall / customer care stuff and that I'm out of luck. They were going to try to see if BMW would give a discounted engine or something but I'm waiting to hear back. Out of warranty, bought the car 12 months ago and it's otherwise absolutely perfect.

So now I'm asking:
1 - What is a common issue on these motors that would look like this?
2 - What can I do with 55K miles? Engine rebuild vs. engine replace?
3 - Can I get anything from BMW?

·
Officially a BMW Addict
847 Posts
Did you call BMWUSA? Ridiculous that these can fail at such low mileage. Funny that people keep saying the N63TU is more reliable.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
From what I've heard, $10k for the new engine installed is actually the discount.......

·
Registered
846 Posts
I does sound like fuel injectors and on your car those are covered by and extended warranty. 10 years/120k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I does sound like fuel injectors and on your car those are covered by and extended warranty. 10 years/120k miles.
I agree it sounds like injectors and I was able to restart the car for a moment as I needed to get it into Neutral for the flatbed which is a PITA without starting the engine. I just don't know why the shop would say I need a new engine if they originally told me the injectors were bad and also tested the injectors. I'm calling again today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts