BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
To the members here, a thorough reading of this could almost reverse engineer a repair manual for the motors on a more itricate level to a FOOLPROOF plan! There's stuff in here on our dreaded cooling system, the HPFP, oil cooling system, secondary air system etc. with ALL THE ENGINEERING NOTES AND RECOMENDATIONS!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
FINALLY, a dyno chart!!!! Wow, look at how the torque just falls flat on it's nose after peaking at 4000 RPM. I do wonder whether valvetronic and it's parasitic loss contributes to that. If you could get the torque to just be flat up to 6000 RPM, you'd just touch 504 HP.

Interesting also to note the valves are smaller than on the previous gen V12 motor. good for low-end torque, not so good for hot-rodding.

And I might rip my spare plenum apart and look at that noise baffle in each side. Very strange noise reduction solution, and I imagine, great for limousines, but again, not so good for hot-rods.

·
Registered
841 Posts
BlackBox, after tearing my motor out and discovering half this stuff on my own, but also still having a ton of questions about some of the more closed systems, this document is Blowing Moy Moind***8482;. Where the heck did you find it?

meanwhile, I looked into this abomination, on my spare upper intake plenum:

and it appears the resonators have not made it into the actual build of the car. My intake plenum does not have it. That is a good thing.

Also, I found a similar document for the E60 M5.

http://www.midia.nl/diversen/bmw/E60_M5_Complete_Vehicle.pdf

and after looking at the torque curve of the S85, I don't feel so bad about our torque dropping off like a rock after peak torque. If I ever do any tuning at oetuning.com in LA, I will look for whether we can safely move the torque peak on our motors up a bit, to squeeze out a little more peak HP. Not sure why the bench flash they have for N73 that comes from undercover performance revs to 8000 RPM, unless they managed to do just that. Otherwise, there's no reason on earth to rev that high.

The thing I was not aware of was the fact the exhaust valves as well are rocker-actuated, and not using HLAs. Not an optimum setup for high-revs. But since the intake valves are tied to valvetronic with rockers of course, that is the lowest common denominator anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.