Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to take care of some chips and scratches using touch up paint. There were a few spots were the paint hadnt settled cleanly, so i wanted to take it off. I used a little bit of nail polish remover, and it wiped off in a cinch. But, what i was wondering was if the nail polish remover did any damage to my cars paint/surface. I did it both on the metal body and plastic bumper. The surface still seems to be smooth. Is this something to worry about, and is there something that I can do to take care of it?

Im gonna put wax over it, but not until im done with the touch up.

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
I don't know but rubbing alcohol seems to take some things off easily as well.

I had tree sap on my car and it took it right off . . .

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Nail polish remover on paint

Alan F said:
I don't know but rubbing alcohol seems to take some things off easily as well.

I had tree sap on my car and it took it right off . . .
I used isopropyl alcohol at first, and it was ok. But it didnt work so well after the paint had time to dry.

·
Registered
895 Posts
tiss tiss: www.carcareonline.com

For you problem, you need the Meguiar's 2000 grit sanding block to strip off excess paint from the touch up paint. This block will not scratch your paint, just take a very thin layer off. Afterwards, use polish to clean up the spot. and you are done.

read the how-to-articles. I am in the process of doing paint chip repair myself. I wouldnt use nail polish remover to get tree sap off, 3m Imperial Hand glaze takes all traces of sap or bugs or bird doo doo off safely after a good wash.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
As I understand it nail polish remover is Acetone (or is it Naptha?)
A pretty harsh solvent. I use "goof off" on the really tough stuff (road tar etc...)

Polish remover is ok once in awhile but I'd use it as a last resort

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips, looks like i need to get some supplies. Im not gonna use the nail polish remover again. I had thought about using "goof off" but i thought that may have been bad enough.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
What are you doing with NAIL POLISH REMOVERS Mathew? Did you score HIGH on the [email protected] test TD posted?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You were fortunate that your finish was cured. Never use lacquer thinner, a.k.a. nail polish remover, on your finish.

Check out this link on "Fixing Paint Chips":
http://www.carcarespecialties.com/paint_chips.html

To remove surface contaminants, try a full strength car wash concentrate first.

Then try WD-40 next. Give it a little time because it is not as powerful as other solvents. If you wash it off immediately, you probably won't have to re-wax.

If that doesn't work, 3M's Adhesive, Tar and Wax Remover will do the job, but make sure you read the directions first. You'll have to re-wax with this treatment.

Fred

'01 325i Orient Blue, SP, PP

·
Registered
3 Posts
You were fortunate that your finish was cured. Never use lacquer thinner, a.k.a. nail polish remover, on your finish.

Check out this link on "Fixing Paint Chips":
http://www.carcarespecialties.com/paint_chips.html

To remove surface contaminants, try a full strength car wash concentrate first.

Then try WD-40 next. Give it a little time because it is not as powerful as other solvents. If you wash it off immediately, you probably won't have to re-wax.

If that doesn't work, 3M's Adhesive, Tar and Wax Remover will do the job, but make sure you read the directions first. You'll have to re-wax with this treatment.

Fred

'01 325i Orient Blue, SP, PP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts