BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Newbie BMW Owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did the nav retrofit in my '05 325i w/ Assist a few weeks ago. It all went pretty well. I don't have the wire connected for the speed control, and I don't have the antenna mounted anywhere yet. I need help with the antenna.

I'm told I've got a GPS antenna in my car already because of the assist, but that I can't use it. So, where am I suppose to mount the second antenna? I've got it sliding around on the rear deck right now, and am really getting terrible mapping. Does metallic tint affect gps reception?

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
cambie said:
i did the nav retrofit in my '05 325i w/ Assist a few weeks ago. It all went pretty well. I don't have the wire connected for the speed control, and I don't have the antenna mounted anywhere yet. I need help with the antenna.

I'm told I've got a GPS antenna in my car already because of the assist, but that I can't use it. So, where am I suppose to mount the second antenna? I've got it sliding around on the rear deck right now, and am really getting terrible mapping. Does metallic tint affect gps reception?
I think that we already had a discussion about this: try the Assist GPS antenna connector in your Nav computer GPS antenna port. In my retrofit it did not fit, however maybe there is a change in your car (my car is a 2004, yours is a 2005) or I did something wrong because it was weird that the GPS antenna of the Assist could be different from the one in the Nav.

If it does not fit then you will have to remove the Assist GPS antenna and install the correct Nav GPS antenna. There is no place to install two GPS antennas and the car does not have any use for two of them... once you take the car to the dealer for the Nav system to be fully recognized by the Assist and for the USA settings the GPS coordinates for Assist services will be taken from the Nav system directly; the Assist GPS system will not be used because there is no direct antenna connection between the two GPS systems, only thru the I-Bus (data).

Look for the difference between these two system overview documents between Assist with Nav and Assist without Nav:

With Nav: https://tcg.motorola.com/bmw/docs_pdf/systemoverview/e46/24_system_overview_nav.pdf

Without Nav: https://tcg.motorola.com/bmw/docs_pdf/systemoverview/e46/24_system_overview_nonav.pdf

... the Assist with Nav diagram do not show any GPS antenna connection in the Assist TCU. The Assist without Nav does.

If you do not want to remove your rear shelf cover you can always tape the GPS antenna on top of it with velcro. It should work as well... it will not be a clean installation but I have my Sirius sat antenna in my rear shelf and it works pretty good.

For your question about tint in the rear window and possible interference: I do not have any reception problem with my configuration of having the GPS antenna under the rear shelf in its OEM 'socket' and rear window matallic tint at 28%.

Good luck... :thumbup:

·
Newbie BMW Owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i tried this out today and i think i may have had success. i took pictures, i'll attach them below. In the first one, you can see the compenents in the trunk of my car. i took the blue connector that is circled in the first picture and put it on the nav computer's antenna input, as pictured in the second picture. Now, that cable wasn't exactly made to fit onto the post of the nav computer antenna, as it doesn't snap down securely like it probably should. but it does fit and seems to work fine. i drove around the block and it was tracking me, so i guess that means i got the right wire plugged in. now i guess i'll just tape it to the back of the nav unit it so it's somewhat secure.

technic, does it look like i got the right cable plugged in there? honestly, i kind of guessed about which one to use, but like i said, it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
cambie said:
ok, i tried this out today and i think i may have had success. i took pictures, i'll attach them below. In the first one, you can see the compenents in the trunk of my car. i took the blue connector that is circled in the first picture and put it on the nav computer's antenna input, as pictured in the second picture. Now, that cable wasn't exactly made to fit onto the post of the nav computer antenna, as it doesn't snap down securely like it probably should. but it does fit and seems to work fine. i drove around the block and it was tracking me, so i guess that means i got the right wire plugged in. now i guess i'll just tape it to the back of the nav unit it so it's somewhat secure.

technic, does it look like i got the right cable plugged in there? honestly, i kind of guessed about which one to use, but like i said, it works.
According to this: https://tcg.motorola.com/bmw/docs_pdf/systemoverview/e46/24_tcu.pdf you are correct, the GPS antenna connector is the blue plug in the TCU. I hope that that connection works for you permanently and it does not cause any problems down the road. :thumbup:

·
Newbie BMW Owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Technic said:
According to this: https://tcg.motorola.com/bmw/docs_pdf/systemoverview/e46/24_tcu.pdf you are correct, the GPS antenna connector is the blue plug in the TCU. I hope that that connection works for you permanently and it does not cause any problems down the road. :thumbup:
you and me both :)

thanks for your expertise once again!

i do have a few other concerns though. maybe they'll go away with my new antenna connected, but i doubt it. the accuracy of this system just does not seem to be all that great. when i have it direct me somewhere, it will regularly tell me i am a hundred yards away from my turn when i'm really more like 100-200 feet away. it also seems like the little arrow on the screen jumps along the map, and thus looks like it's behind my actual location at most times. is that normal? i was expecting more of a smooth moving arrow. and finding restaurants or shops i am looking for with the navigation system isn't exactly easy either, but that's not too big a deal. i have had more than one occasion already where the system usually brings me near my destination, but it doesn't actually bring me to the correct house on the street, or it thinks it's on the other side of the road. i have a hard time believing a newer dvd would do the trick here, as i've got a 2004-2 version.

anyway, should i be worried about any of this? or is it just the inferior bmw nav system i keep hearing about? i have still not gotten the car into the dealer yet to be coded with the rest of the car, so maybe that'll make a difference too.

·
Newbie BMW Owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dang, more problems.

i called the dealer today to have the car "coded". the dealership's reply was "we've never done that here."

i was afraid of this. in what words do i need to format my request so that they'll do this for me?

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
cambie said:
dang, more problems.

i called the dealer today to have the car "coded". the dealership's reply was "we've never done that here."

i was afraid of this. in what words do i need to format my request so that they'll do this for me?
No problem: take this http://www.stradasystems.com/bmw/navigationRetrofitSedan.pdf document with you and refer to page 14... :thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am retrofitting Nav in my 2004 330i (with Assist). Where do I place the GPS antenna (under the rear shelf)? It came with a dual sided adhesive pad. Do I just stick it on the metal shelf? Does its orientation matter?

Thanks.
-Sandeep

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
sbhatia said:
I am retrofitting Nav in my 2004 330i (with Assist). Where do I place the GPS antenna (under the rear shelf)? It came with a dual sided adhesive pad. Do I just stick it on the metal shelf? Does its orientation matter?

Thanks.
-Sandeep
The GPS antenna goes here:

·
ex-M couper
1,751 Posts
sbhatia said:

Thanks.
-Sandeep
If you have Assist you already have the GPS antenna installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.