BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Z4 E85 (original owner, 150K miles so far) - driving year round in New England - never even washed it :)

Can somebody confirm if the satellite connection for the build-in GPS system is expected to be active all of the time (or most) or is it designed to link/triangulate only every few minutes? I had to replace the GPS antenna and the satellite link is now intermittent (can't recall what it was before since the antenna was broken for a long time). Navigation works OK as is.

I assume that the link is intermittent now because:
- the satellite icon displays only every few minutes (like every 4 or 5 minutes for about 30 secs)
- the elevation is displayed only when the satellite icon appears

Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Should triangulate continuously unless in a parking garage or other obstruction. I replaced my GPS antenna last year and works flawlessly now. You put a new or used antenna in? Seems to be a bad antenna or loose connection where it plugs in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced original GPS antenna (totally lost GPS signal) with a used one. Will get a new one and see what happens. The connection of the antenna stub in the windshield frame appears to be solid. BTW, do you or anybody else knows how to access the antenna wire connector on the nav unit in the back? Maybe I have a loose connection there. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts