Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to finalize my ED deal on the E60. I am in two minds about the Nav. The Nav will cost me an additional $500 over the life of the lease. Once I am in the US I would not need it. The E65 will be our primary driver and it comes with the nav.

The Nav may be useful during the ED. I do not plan to drive too much within Cities; primarily the driving will be from city to city (Munich-> ?? -> Venice-> Rome -> Nice (maybe)). I am not sure how useful the nav will be for point to point driving between cities.

An option is to get Autoroute Europe with the GPS attachment and use my laptop. it should be good enough for the macro-routing I am doing. This option is $100.

Another option is to get a portable car based system and download European maps to it. However European maps are not easy to find or inexpensive either.

From folks who have done ED before and have driven primarily between cities, is the in car dash really worth the $500, if you are not going to use it within the US much?

I plan to do ED every two years so going for the in car nav will be a recurring expense.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
BayAreaBMWFan said:
I am trying to finalize my ED deal on the E60. I am in two minds about the Nav. The Nav will cost me an additional $500 over the life of the lease. Once I am in the US I would not need it. The E65 will be our primary driver and it comes with the nav.

The Nav may be useful during the ED. I do not plan to drive too much within Cities; primarily the driving will be from city to city (Munich-> ?? -> Venice-> Rome -> Nice (maybe)). I am not sure how useful the nav will be for point to point driving between cities.

An option is to get Autoroute Europe with the GPS attachment and use my laptop. it should be good enough for the macro-routing I am doing. This option is $100.

Another option is to get a portable car based system and download European maps to it. However European maps are not easy to find or inexpensive either.

From folks who have done ED before and have driven primarily between cities, is the in car dash really worth the $500, if you are not going to use it within the US much?

I plan to do ED every two years so going for the in car nav will be a recurring expense.
This makes no sense to me. But to each his own.

Let me see if I understand this corectly.

You are doing ED on a 5 series and plan on doing so every two years.

You own an E63.

The new 5 series is most likely costing you close to 50k. (my guess)

navigation will cost $500 over the life of the lease, or 20 dollars per month?

Since you are doing ED, you will most likely start making lease payments (2 months waiting for car), so two lease payments on a car you can't drive.

My point is you are losing (my guess since I don't know what your lease payment is), about $1500 bucks for two months of leasing, and you are worried about $500 bucks? :dunno:

Don't understand how it matters when you are flipping cars so fast. The $500 for the nav should be the least of your concerns.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
chuck:
I am flipping cars so fast because it is the most cost effective way. If you have been following the folks here, the 24 month ED lease has the lowest monthly payments of all other lease combinations. On the ED, BMWFS will make one of the two payments while you wait. So you are paying about 1 to 1.5 months more. Plus you can always extend the lease by a few months if you have a car on order so the lease will technically be a 27 month lease on the 24 month rate.

You need to factor in the $1000 BMW CCA rebate also into the equation which makes it a no brainer to do the 24 month leases. If the Lufthansa free ticket offer comes back it makes it EVEN better (I am anyway going East this March).

I suggest you go read the the December lease rates thread to see how you can drive an E60 for $350/month. What I have been calling the "Drive a 525 at the price of the Accord plan".

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122408

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122818 lists the story of my E65.

Back to the original question: Is the In Dash Nav a must have for ED routings.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
BayAreaBMWFan said:
chuck:
I am flipping cars so fast because it is the most cost effective way. If you have been following the folks here, the 24 month ED lease has the lowest monthly payments of all other lease combinations.
On the ED, BMWFS will make one of the two payments while you wait. So you are paying about 1 to 1.5 months more. Plus you can always extend the lease by a few months if you have a car on order so the lease will technically be a 27 month lease on the 24 month rate.

You need to factor in the $1000 BMW CCA rebate also into the equation which makes it a no brainer to do the 24 month leases.

I suggest you go read the the December lease rates thread to see how you can drive an E60 for $350/month.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122408

Back to the original question: Is the In Dash Nav a must have for ED routings.
My point being previously is you are dumping so much money into the 5 and 7 series you have, what difference does $500 bucks make.

It's like saying I am buying a $500,000 home and cannot decide if I want $3,000 air conditioning? :dunno:

At any rate, don't get the nav, it makes no financial sense. :eek:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
chuck:
http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/BMWCCA/Documents/BMWCCAMemberRewardProgram.pdf

$1K for 5, $1.5K for 7.

My point is that I DO NOT care whether the car costs $30K or $60K. It is BMWFS who dumps the money. All I care about is the residual/MF which determines my monthly payment.

The NAV adds about 5% to the cost of the lease. So it is not inconsequential. A $3K AC in a $500K house is 0.6%. And I have very limited use for the NAV in the US.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,010 Posts
Yup, the rebate is $1000 for the 5er.

I like the NAV, it has another benefit: voice control. I think you should get it, it was useful in Germany and the dead reckoning is great, it makes the system work in tunnels and underground.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The voice control (to control the radio etc), is it a part of the iDrive (which is standard) or do you have to have NAV to have voice control?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
BayAreaBMWFan said:
chuck:
http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/BMWCCA/Documents/BMWCCAMemberRewardProgram.pdf

$1K for 5, $1.5K for 7.

My point is that I DO NOT care whether the car costs $30K or $60K. It is BMWFS who dumps the money. All I care about is the residual/MF which determines my monthly payment.

The NAV adds about 5% to the cost of the lease. So it is not inconsequential. A $3K AC in a $500K house is 0.6%. And I have very limited use for the NAV in the US.
Oops, I did not realize the raised the rebate on the 5.

However, you answered you own question.

"And I have very limited use for the NAV in the US"

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,010 Posts
BayAreaBMWFan said:
The voice control, is it a part of the iDrive (which is standard) or do you have to have NAV to have voice control?
You need to have NAV to get voice control on the E60.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
chuck:
The point of the post in the ED forum is the utility of a NAV while driving on the ED vacation between cities.

There are other much less expensive options (like the laptop based NAV) which might do the job for me.

I want to LEARN from the experience of other folks who may have been in a similar situation like mine.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I didn't get it because I wouldn't use it back home. Would have only used it for my ED trip.

I was only going point-to-point and then parking, so it really wasn't worth it. I just printed the directions to the hotel out before I left and that's all I needed. I did get lost twice, but I just went back to the a-bahn and started over and got to where I needed to go. :D

When in doubt always head for the train station, if you get lost.

·
Registered
128 Posts
BayAreaBMWFan said:
chuck:
The point of the post in the ED forum is the utility of a NAV while driving on the ED vacation between cities.

There are other much less expensive options (like the laptop based NAV) which might do the job for me.

I want to LEARN from the experience of other folks who may have been in a similar situation like mine.
In my experience if you don't want/need Nav in US don't get it. Not to mean that Nav is not useful in Europe, but there are other options. Buy a used nav from ebay and sell it back later. Or rent a Nav. I really used Nav there mainly because it was my first trip to Europe, ever. If you are little familiar with Europe, you could also do without a Nav, just some maps s/w in laptop is enough.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Things to consider - going back to the original enquiry

BayAreaBMWFan said:

It occurs to me that the discussion is missing one point: you are driving "primarily" between cities, but of course you are NOT (as far as I know) stopping at the border and walking the rest of the way. Regardless of how much time you are spending in a city, esp. if 1.) you have never been to it or 2.) you do not read/speak the language with enough fluency to navigate signs and ask directions, you will have to find your way to a hotel (presumably with good secure non-valet parking).

Most European cities have many small, one-way streets, esp. in the city centre. This means that a destination might be around the block, but getting there might require a circuitous route.

You also have to be able to "leave" the city and you might want to get directions to specific points of interest on the way.

This is justification for a Satnav system, but not necessarily integrated Satnav.

One thing to consider: only integrated Satnav will support dead reckoning.

Hope this is helpful.

·
ZHPper
2,124 Posts
Calif65GM said:
I didn't get it because I wouldn't use it back home. Would have only used it for my ED trip.

I was only going point-to-point and then parking, so it really wasn't worth it. I just printed the directions to the hotel out before I left and that's all I needed. I did get lost twice, but I just went back to the a-bahn and started over and got to where I needed to go. :D

When in doubt always head for the train station, if you get lost.
Best advice posted...go to the train station. Almost always someone who speaks English and will help. I like maps, I find NAV not that helpful. Most fun I've had in Europe (Or the US) is getting lost and finding my way out with a map. It's like some kid telling me he doesn't need a dictionary because he can look a word up on his cell phone/Bluetooth/IPod/etc. connection. Right.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
woody underwood said:
Best advice posted...go to the train station. Almost always someone who speaks English and will help. I like maps, I find NAV not that helpful. Most fun I've had in Europe (Or the US) is getting lost and finding my way out with a map. It's like some kid telling me he doesn't need a dictionary because he can look a word up on his cell phone/Bluetooth/IPod/etc. connection. Right.
I totally agree about the fun in getting lost (!) but I disagree on the train station. Presuming you mean the central railway station in a city, most are, well, in the city centre. If the driver is having difficulty navigating into the city (for lots of reasons, including the fact that some people cannot seem to read maps), finding the train station - and then a place to park legally - to go in and ask for directions will be an equal challenge to navigating to one´s original destination in the city center.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Jspira said:
If the driver is having difficulty navigating into the city (for lots of reasons, including the fact that some people cannot seem to read maps), finding the train station - and then a place to park legally - to go in and ask for directions will be an equal challenge to navigating to one´s original destination in the city center.
Jspira, you're correct in that respect. I mentioned the train station because that's usually the central/focal point of most if not all European cities. From the train station, it's much easier to get your bearings. Also I find that most train stations will have a parking lot near-by. Much better than circling around and getting frustrated.

Also that's way I did all my driving during the daytime. I don't see well at night to begin with and trying to navigate the European cities at night is tough.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Calif65GM said:
Also that's way I did all my driving during the daytime. I don't see well at night to begin with and trying to navigate the European cities at night is tough.
I did a lot of driving in the evenings as well and my arrival in Berchtesgaden was around 21:00 or so. I found the Satnav very helpful in the final 15 km or so in finding the InterContinental. Driving up to the resort in the mountains in fog (it´s 1000 m up), with Rich following close behind, I was able to rely on the Satnav for turns which during the day would have been quite apparent.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Jspira said:
I did a lot of driving in the evenings as well and my arrival in Berchtesgaden was around 21:00 or so.
Well there you go, if anyone plans to do any night-time driving then maybe they should get the Nav.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Guys for sharing your experiences.
Summary so far:

The nav is useful:
- In the last 15 miles of the drive when you get off the highways and on to the local destinations
- When driving at night or in bad weather when you can not see the street signs and names

Any thoughts about the PC based nav systems as a fallback for these situations?
We also have a Treo 650 and some old Palm V. Any suggestions for these?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let's see if I can answer your question and give you my opinions. I too was undecided about the nav as I wasn't going to use it very often back home in the states. However, I went for it as I've never had nav in the car before and I'm into the gadget stuff. Anyways, the nav really came in handy on our ED and it saved our day many times over. We were in Munich, Vienna, Salzburg, and several small towns along the way. The nav was very accurate and it got s thru the busy streets of Vienna with no problems. There are a lot of construcion in those cities and we had to go thru streets we originally didn't plan but the nav got us to our destination without a hitch. You can use the laptop as others have noted but what happens if you lose it, or if your HD crashes, and then you have to lug that thing around everywhere. I didn't want to have to deal with that. The other idea is to buy a portable unit and once you return to the states, you can return if it's within the store's return policy for a refund (don't like this but still an option). Buying it off of ebay has it's risks and then you have to deal with downloading the maps. For me, all this headache wasn't worth it and if I could get the nav for only $500, I would do it in a heartbeat. Another thing to remember is that you have to buy your own Europe DVD (around $200 new). If I were you, I'd go for it as the price differential between the nav and the other options are not material and if you don't like it, you only need to deal with it for 2 years and then don't get it next time. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts