BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new 2012 535 and noticed that the NAV map view is flat. I checked the map settings and found that the 3D perspective box was checked or active. My previous BMW was a 335d and the map view in 3D showed all the hills, mountains, and valleys around where I live in a perspective and shape amazingly similar to the real things. However, in the 535, in 3D perspective, the actual map view is devoid of any depth or 3D effect. In fact, in 3D, the map doesn't show any topographical features.

Stupid question: Is that the way the 535 map view is supposed to work in 3D or do I need to take the car in for a service look? Anybody else ever have this problem with their NAV? I have the Technology Pkg., so I'm assuming I have the Professional NAV that has the 3D feature - - else why would the settings screen even show a 3D perspective check box.

Thanks for your advice.

· Registered
31 Posts
Is there a Nav data CD or thumb drive that has to be loaded? I don't have a Bimmer yet, so I don't know how the Nav data gats loaded. Just throwing it out there.

· Registered
5 Posts
On my E92 and I believe on the F10s I test drove, you need to select Perspective view fom the sat nav screen (where you change the view to North Facing, Direction of Travel etc...). 3D view works on zooming in when you are in cities etc... What you describe with hills and valleys is Perspective view.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The OP stated 3-times that 3D Perspective is selected in the iDrive, and that the same area was in fact shown in 3D Perspective in his previous iDrive Nav. :confused:
TnkU. But I appreciate the input from everyone. I'll have to go to the dealer to see what the 3D Perspective looks like on other F10 535's. I know I've tried every conceivable combination of views on the Settings and can't get anything like what I had on my previous Nav. Maybe that one was the"Artiste" version and the F10 "Professional" Nav is the grey chalk stripe version that dispenses with such frivolities.

· The Driver
4,804 Posts
It depends on the car. I have found that in most cities you ony get 3D at 800 feet or below. In Miami it's at 400feet and below.

· Registered
461 Posts
I thought the 3D view will come into perspective in mostly downtown type of situation.

In Canada, that's the case and once I past the city's downtown core, the view becomes 2D or simply plain, no showing of any hi-rise buildings

· Greg Poland Pacific BMW
3,153 Posts
For some reason 3d is not consistent in all cars... I have sold hundreds and at least 5 percent have no access to 3d... Very odd.

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
TnkU. But I appreciate the input from everyone. I'll have to go to the dealer to see what the 3D Perspective looks like on other F10 535's. I know I've tried every conceivable combination of views on the Settings and can't get anything like what I had on my previous Nav. Maybe that one was the"Artiste" version and the F10 "Professional" Nav is the grey chalk stripe version that dispenses with such frivolities.
If you are looking at the "gray chalk stripe" version, then you have the traffic view checked.

Are your maps gray with white lines? Does the traffic information show up as colored lines on the roads? Or triangles next to the roads?

Does your map look like this?

Or this (although this is perspective view).

I do not think the 3D works in traffic mode. Check that off and see what happens.

· Registered
40 Posts
I do not think it works for smaller cities. Pan to a large city near you and then zoom in. My home city does not show 3D. But if I pan to Washington, DC and pan in, I get 3D. I panned to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., and there's the White House, in 3D. Try this before you take your car to the dealer.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I finally figured out how to make the 3D perspective work in my Nav. With the map displayed on the screen, I went to the function bar (the vertical bar on the left) and scrolled down to the "set the map view" icon, selected that by pushing on the iDrive controller and kept pushing on the controller until "perspective' showed next to the icon, AND then using the iDrive went to Map - Options - Settings and selected 3D perspective. That produced a 3D view, although it's not as pronounced an effect as the 3D I was used to in the 335d. That at least is how my particular Nav works. It does, at the 2 mile scale, show all the hills and mountains around where I live.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and comments.

· Registered
3,844 Posts
So as not to start a new thread and gum up the search I'm posting here.....

I have a 2012 535i and I just updated the map to the 2015-1 release. The satellite and 3D views are grayed-out in the menu and not selectable. My local "genius" doesn't know why. Any ideas?

· Registered
1,000 Posts
So as not to start a new thread and gum up the search I'm posting here.....

I have a 2012 535i and I just updated the map to the 2015-1 release. The satellite and 3D views are grayed-out in the menu and not selectable. My local "genius" doesn't know why. Any ideas?
Wrong map version? Failed load (directory missing?) ? Bad map files/directory from factory (DVD/thumb drive)? Too small thumb drive?

I've updated to both 2015-1 and 2015-2 NEXT and everything works as designed. I know that doesn't help, but haven't heard of this yet.

· Registered
3,844 Posts
Wrong map version? Failed load (directory missing?) ? Bad map files/directory from factory (DVD/thumb drive)? Too small thumb drive?

I've updated to both 2015-1 and 2015-2 NEXT and everything works as designed. I know that doesn't help, but haven't heard of this yet.
I was thinking I may have installed it wrong.... I'm not too good at this programming type of thing. I'm thinking I'll just reinstall the files.

· Registered
1,000 Posts
I was thinking I may have installed it wrong.... I'm not too good at this programming type of thing. I'm thinking I'll just reinstall the files.
Mine was literally as simple as insert USB in center console and upgrade. If it was the SAME version, it warned that the files were "outdated" to prevent goofing or unnecessary replacing. On my 2013 it automatically prompts to upgrade. On my 2011 (which I think went in the glovebox USB port - no longer on newer cars), I had to manually select upgrade through the menu system.

You could have mis-entered the key? Or the files could be missing/corrupt?

I'd re-download the files or put the files back onto another USB key. I needed nearly all of a 32GB key for the latest NEXT version.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.