BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, a while back, I tried updating my nav software from v.17 to v.18. I had burnt the disks required and had a huge problem where the disk wouldn't eject. If anyone remembers, I had to get the cd reader replaced. I just read online,

http://members.roadfly.com/csauerbry/navfaq.htm

about the different software versions. Even though I am convinced that it was just a freak hardware failure, I am not going ot attempt to do it again. But, I read that I could buy the actual disks from my dealers parts department. Why do I need to update do you ask? Well, I really don't need to but I do have some grips about this system that maybe someone can help me answer. When entering a town, sometimes it automatically changes what I just entered into the broader township that covers more area. Sometimes it leaves it alone. Often, the street that I want to put in next, will not be recognized and it will finish automacially with the incorrect street name. I have had to find alternate cross streets and enter that as my primary destination just becasue it's not letting me enter the street I want to go. Basically, does v.18 or v.19 fix this quirk? I don't know if this is a bug or just the unfriendly way it functions. I really apprecaite a response from anyone with knowledge on this! Sorry for the winded post. Regards, Cliff :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok..

Hi, what I was referring to was the computer software that runs the navigation system (sort of like the operating system on your computer; eg, windows). What you are refering to is the disk that is in your trunk. That contains the road maps that the system uses to map your trip. They are totally different. 2001.2 just lets you know how recent the map is on the disk. I believe that it means, the second disk put out in 2001 (don't quote me on that one). Roads are constanly being built so navtech the maker of the map disk, constanly puts out new map CD's because roads change with time. Do you understand?

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Nav Software

Cliff,

Thanks for your info. All I have on the Nav Unit is Mark II and the latest Mark III.

Also under settings right top of screen shows latest software. I had 3 1/40 and the dealer changed it to 3 1/50 saying this was the fix BMW NA sent them. No difference with new software as far as I can notice..

I find one has to be flexible in their using system in their home territory when they have built up a bevy of shortcuts etc. that would be impossible for the programmer to know. I have chatted with software programmers that are frustrated trying to figure out the problems we encounter.

My foremost complaint is the lack of volume control on the Nav unit. I am guessing now, but I think it is tied in with the chip or whatever increases violume of radio etc. and speed of car. If thi is the problem, why not disconnect this feature which in my thinking is highly unnecessary.

I like the Nav unit and am willing to wait out the fix patiently.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Yah, they do help

Im still stuck on V17 and would like to go up to the new v19. My only problem is im afraid to put in the disks in case something goes wrong. But anyways, as you probably know the V18 upgrade made enhanced graphics and also software. And more specifically, the V19 disks are software upgrades, so it looks like these upgrades help with the system.

Did you have to pay for the nav drive?

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Nav Problems

No charge for the new software. The car is under warranty for 3 or 4 years and is only 2 months old at this time. BMW will get it fixed sooner or later. In the meanwhile I will enjoy the car without worrying too much over this one defect at this time. I have no smarts on this stuff like some of you, so I depend on your observations. Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there is no charge for the new software, I am definately going to insist on getting it next time I have service. But, I guarentee my dealer is going to tell me that I can't have it becasue it's not for my system. I know it's going to happen. Even though I have the Mark III system, all they do is look at the size of the screen and make a flase assumption. :tsk:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts