BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me how the map coverage is for Canada?
Is the Nav System based on the same system as Map Quest?
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is not map quest based, or google maps, or yahoo maps. They all have roads that the nav dvd is missing.

I have the 2004 DVD. It is missing many roads in Ontario and Quebec. These are highways that have existed for many years, and are on paper road-maps I have from 15 years ago. One example I found a couple of weeks ago was 15km north of Montreal, on a 6 lane highway going to Tremblant, the nav indicated I was in the middle of no-where. This is not the nav losing the signal, just a poor map. The nav didn't indicate I was on a highway again until I was about 15km from Ottawa-Hull.

Having said that, I find nav very useful for finding your way around big cities that you are not familiar with. I would buy nav again, I just wish the map included all the roads that exist.

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 371,000kms as of May 2021
875 Posts
After saying that Nav is for Sissies to my sister and wife, I promptly got the lot of us lost west of Toronto two weeks ago.

When I got home I surprised my wife and told her that I had retrofitted her X5 with an aftermarket Nav. To her surprise it was a 5 dollar compass stuck under her mirror (from Canadian Tire). I'll buy a map next trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts