BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently at an Infiniti dealer test driving a G35x and was told by the dealer that their traffic feature on the nav gets the updates from the satellite radio. Is this the same for BMWs? I got a year of free subscription to Sirius when I purchased the vehicle and it's just about to run out. Not planning on continuing/renewing the suscription because I rarely listen to it. However, I love the traffic feature on the nav and don't want to lose it if it gets the updates from Sirius.

Anyone know for sure?

·
Its Here!
358 Posts
I doubt it.... I don't have satellite and I still have traffic information on my screen. Albeit sometimes it waits to tell me there is traffic until I'm stuck in the middle of it!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It uses fm radio to update real time traffic.
So it's only as good as your location is as far as updating.

·
Current 'Fest Addict
944 Posts
It uses fm radio to update real time traffic.
So it's only as good as your location is as far as updating.
+1, the more popular FM stations (I think all Clear Channel stations do now) broadcast the info. No subscription necessary.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
What they said. The BMW system is free of charge and doesn't use the extra-cost XM/Sirius traffic services that most other companies offer. There is a second FM tuner that finds the Clear Channel RTT stations and downloads the data that way.

BMW: +1
Infiniti: -1

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was recently at an Infiniti dealer test driving a G35x and was told by the dealer that their traffic feature on the nav gets the updates from the satellite radio. Is this the same for BMWs? I got a year of free subscription to Sirius when I purchased the vehicle and it's just about to run out. Not planning on continuing/renewing the suscription because I rarely listen to it. However, I love the traffic feature on the nav and don't want to lose it if it gets the updates from Sirius.

Anyone know for sure?
It is through the regular radio signals I am almost positive.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
What they said. The BMW system is free of charge and doesn't use the extra-cost XM/Sirius traffic services that most other companies offer. There is a second FM tuner that finds the Clear Channel RTT stations and downloads the data that way.

BMW: +1
Infiniti: -1
You are correct. The clear channel system is improving and in some locations they utilize radar drones to detect traffic so it is more accurate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just because it is FM doesn't mean it's free. The FM service requires a subscription. There are two levels, the basic information comes over without a subscription but the advanced level needs a subscription. I think BMW provides a free lieftime subscription. I also have a Garmin Nuvi 660 which uses FM traffic, the first year was free and after that you pay an annual fee. I am now in France and I bought a lifetime Via Michelin FM traffic subscription for $50.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
RTTI is $100 for 4 years IIRC. It is included in the cost of Nav.

After 4 years, if the system is still around, you will have to pay a subsciption.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have RTTI and I have Nav. The service is great in Los Angeles. I get pretty reliable traffic re-routing and notification from the ClearChannel stations.

I never paid for RTTI, I always assumed it was free. But it makes sense to be included with iDrive.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts

After 4 years, if the system is still around, you will have to pay a subsciption.
There is an agreement between BMW and Clear Channel, there are no fees and is different than w/ a Garmin system and fees.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you have a cellphone with a data plan you can get maps with the roads highlighted in green, yellow or red to indicate traffic conditions updated every two minutes for free with either Google Maps of Live Search

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have a gramin and with the traffic subscription, they are good at reporting an incident but slow at updating it when the traffic lets up, so it appears the traffic is backed up and its not. 60 bucks a year.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Here is the BMW FAQ on RTTI:

"There is no activation fee or recurring monthly charges. The cost to provide RTTI is included in the navigation system price. The RTTI service will be provided for a minimum of 4 years from the purchase or lease of your BMW. After the four year term, the service will continue to be provided at no additional charge as long as BMW continues its contractual relationship with its RTTI service provider."

So you can't say that you "will" have to pay for a subscription and I don't know where the $100 figure comes from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts