BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased a certified 2014 X5 35i a few months ago and noticed that the Nav is a little out of date. on a normal Garmin GPS I could just google it and download it for free, not the proper way I know but..... So is there a way to " share the files " you would think that the amount of money we spend on these it would be free.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hi,

I purchased a certified 2014 X5 35i a few months ago and noticed that the Nav is a little out of date. on a normal Garmin GPS I could just google it and download it for free, not the proper way I know but..... So is there a way to " share the files " you would think that the amount of money we spend on these it would be free.
No, there is no way to update it for free. There are ways to update it not from the dealer, but not for free (and for less money than it costs at the dealer).

you need both the navigation files, and a code to activate them. You can either search the coding forum for threads on map downloads and purchase a code that way, or you can contact someone like bimmer america which sells the codes and will point you to the way to download the files.

Even if you get the files (which are fairly easy to get online) without the "FSC (activation) code" they will be useless.

EDIT: added text below

I should mention that doing it through a vendor online like bimmer america (or checking the coding forum and looking into it that way) are much more preferrable than doing it at the dealer actually. The reason for this is, the dealers never seem to have the "latest" files, so even though you will pay more money if you do it at the dealer, you will have slightly older maps.

If it makes you feel any better (ok it wont but I will say it anyway lol) new 2017 X5s will have 4 years of over the air map updates, just like my 2016 435 currently has. Doesnt help you, but at least they are moving the right direction for your next X5 purchase :thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Someone is performing work for hire to develop, verify, test and install the updates. Those people expect to be paid for their work.

BMW can either charge the customer directly at the time of installing the update or build the cost of updates into the purchase price of the car where hey "appear" to be free.

Either way, people are being paid for their work, BMW is making a profit, and the share holders are getting rewarded for investing their money in the company.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well maybe for the next purchase then, your right atleast they are moving in the right direction, it will just bump up the cost about $1000 :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just completed Nav update '17-1 on '15X5 from Bimmer America; piece of cake. Second time I've used their update. Great resource!

·
Registered
287 Posts
just completed nav update '17-1 on '15x5 from bimmer america; piece of cake. Second time i've used their update. Great resource!
+1^^^^^^^

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back in 2014, I went back to the dealer I bought my 2011 CPO X5 from a month or more later and talked to the dealer manager...told him that I was about to take a long distance trip and noticed the NAV maps were still at 2011, and he immediately and gladly offered to update the maps to 2014 for free. He actually sounded embarrassed that the dealer didn't update the maps before delivering the car to me even though I never brought it up at the time. It might be worth a try to call your dealer to inquire :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts