Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am getting ready to make my final decision and want to know what you thing about the BMW Navagation System. Is it worth the extra money?

Any details on next year's DVD system?

I currently have a Garmin Street Pilot. Am happy with that. :thumbup:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
I don't think so, I find it cumbersome and unnecessary....

The interface is terrible :thumbdwn:

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
I find the navigation indispensible. It is very well integrated with the car, adds more advanced on-board computer functions, as well as great dead-reckoning when you're driving through tunnels and poor signal areas.

As far as I've heard, the DVD will not add any new functionality... it will simply merge all the data on to one disc, vs. multiple region discs.

Here's a tour of the navigation software

It's shown on the older 2001 screen, but the software is the same.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
It may not be the best one out there, but I love it, love it, love it, love it.

:thumbup:

·
E30,840i,F80 M3comp,640GT
1,093 Posts
Worth it

I never thought I'd like it, but it's sweet!

When I got back from Euro Delivery, my wife and I agreed that it prevented a lot of stress.

325xiT steel blue and natural brown

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Uter - NAV

Funny...I am going throught the same thing right now...keep going back and forth, whether or not to get it...Agree that the best part about it would be the hassle free avoidance of countless arguments with the other half!!! So you are glad you did it eh? BTW, I too ordered steel blue, nat brown, because after i saw your pics, i fell in love with the combo...thanks! I p/u in Munchen 11/29 Question...were you able to use NAV upon pick up in Germany? Did you have the discs prior to going or did you purchase them there...whats the scoop on that? Thanks

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
iiotoko said:
Am getting ready to make my final decision and want to know what you thing about the BMW Navagation System. Is it worth the extra money?
Wish I'd gotten NAV instead of AWD.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Having lived with Navigation for 2 1/2 years in my Acura CL-S I unhesitatingly ordered it for the 330Ci. While the DVD gives much wider coverage than the CD version we don't travel that often out of the area the CD will cover.
For all the nay sayers about Navigation, be low on fuel sometime in an area you're not familiar with and see how much a map helps you in finding gas.....or a restaurant..or a hotel.......................

·
E30,840i,F80 M3comp,640GT
1,093 Posts
Re: Uter - NAV

Civi330i said:
Funny...I am going throught the same thing right now...keep going back and forth, whether or not to get it...Agree that the best part about it would be the hassle free avoidance of countless arguments with the other half!!! So you are glad you did it eh? BTW, I too ordered steel blue, nat brown, because after i saw your pics, i fell in love with the combo...thanks! I p/u in Munchen 11/29 Question...were you able to use NAV upon pick up in Germany? Did you have the discs prior to going or did you purchase them there...whats the scoop on that? Thanks
It's cheaper to buy the Navigation Technology CD's (navtech.com) prior to leaving the states (cost $100 plus $10 shipping for the Central Europe CD). At the Delivery Center, the price looked more like $150-170. And man, it makes driving in Europe great because you're able to concentrate on driving (and not reading a map or acting like a jerk to your spouse/navigator).

I sold the disc to a certain bimmerfest individual who may be reading this post and offer you the disc after he returns from his trip.

Of course, the question is, won't your system be a DVD-based system as a MY2003? Mine is a CD-rom based system.

Glad to hear you liked the color combination. I learned about it on this board from Jon Shafer and Nat Brown (It just never made sense to my why bmwusa wouldn't offer it)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Uter

That is good to know...yes it will be DVD based so that idea is out. But i will surely purchase it before hand!

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I love the nav system. Im into this sorta stuff, so i had to get it. When i first got the car, i played around with it and thought it was ok. The interface could have been made better. At that time, I hardly ever used it....

But then i updated the version. It looks a lot better now, and i use it more frequently. I pull up the map when im leaving the garage, and leave it there for my commute.

Its a great feature to have and i think its cool. Its a hell of a lot cleaner and better integrated than the other aftermarket ones. While i think its great, its not a necessity, so if money is a factor.....its up to you

·
Registered
166 Posts
You will be sooooo much happier with it. It's got a bunch of features you will use all the time, and it's cool to show off to your friends.

·
The Jesal
309 Posts
Main reason i got it is because i think it LOOKS cool. Makes the dash more enjoyable to look at.

I used the navigation once and awhile, its not as great as my old 2002 TL-S navi. The acura navi is by far better.

The dvd-based is more than just it being on a single disc, it will be much faster. It wont have a long "thinking" time as the cd-based does. Well worth it IMO, i hope the dvd based one comes with more functions, and i really hope its swapable with my cd-based one. Ill buy the unit right away then. :bigpimp:

I say get it. :angel:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
I plan to include it on my next bimmer.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
alee said:

They don't show curbs. :D (sorry, couldn't resist :p)
No, alee, the 2003 models will! :yikes:

The DVDs are so info packed that they give curb warnings, location, and height :yikes:

Retrofit time again

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
alee said:

Already on my list. :D
:tsk: :dunno: :confused:

I wish I had half the $$ you've spent on retro fits. I could pick up a nice 96 M3 that is for sale right down the road from me:cry: :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts