BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2016 BMW 528i
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have 2016 BMW 528i. Got it couple of months ago. Yesterday, I tried to enter a destination in the navigation, but couldn't. BMW company said it's already expired service for this car because it's 2016.
Any help can you please help me?
Thanks in advance.

· Registered
13,635 Posts
Are you saying when you go to the iDrive screen that shows your nav software version...it shows the original 2016 maps?

You can easily upgrade your nav maps to the current 2021 versions. There are threads on every BMW forum and forum board about how to upgrade your nav maps with a FSC code and new maps you can download for free...or even aftermarket vendors that sell versions for approx 30$ (downloadable to your own thumb drive) or approx $70-$100 for them to send you a version on a thumb drive.

Just verify which version of the maps you need by checking your map software version in iDrive.

I've used this vendor twice to upgrade my 2013 & 2014 nav maps on my f06 & f15 BMWs: https://bimmernavupdates.com/naviga...jcBn9ePzrR-WqJ3XbWU1CyWMeOqr7PjsaAqctEALw_wcB

Examples: Nav Map version is at the top...and regional OTA (over the air) version is at the bottom...you'll need the info at the top to know which nav map version you need to upgrade to:

· Registered
25 Posts
Why would an existing map with an existing destination on the map require an update of the map? Buyer gets the vehicle with an option, pays for it but it expires after so many months/years? How about heated seats and climate control? Do they expire and requires re-buying them?

· Glfbggy
1,146 Posts
We have a '14 f10 and have not upgraded the maps, it does just fine accepting new locations as long as they are on the map. Our area of SW Idaho has experienced a great deal of growth and there are many, many locations which did not exist in 2014....but it still works for those that were.

· Registered
13,635 Posts
Why would an existing map with an existing destination on the map require an update of the map? Buyer gets the vehicle with an option, pays for it but it expires after so many months/years? How about heated seats and climate control? Do they expire and requires re-buying them?
A map requires an update if/when there is growth or changes in the area that the map covers. If you had purchased a physical map back in 2014 and used it to find new locations that didn’t exist at that time…can you go back to the vendor you purchased the 2014 map from and ask for a free updated 2022 map?

You have no vehicle info listed…so assuming you have one of the older navigation systems that don’t get over the air updates (OTA)…nor have in car WiFi where new maps can be uploaded by BMW…if you need new maps…you have to purchase them.

As mentioned above…if you have 2014 nav maps…the system still works and will take you to any place that existed in 2014. But if a new road, bridge, subdivision…or even new businesses open or close…the POI (point of interest) data will not be up to date. But any business that was existence in 2014 and still is in existence…it is still available on the map. If you got a new Starbucks that just opened in the last year…then that restaurant is NOT listed. But if you drive into the parking lot and select REMEMBER THIS LOCATION and save/name it…you can always navigate to it. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.