Votes: 56 60.9%
  • Fine without navigation package & tech package, just want larger 8.8 screen

Votes: 22 23.9%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if the Navigation option is still worth it anymore. Find myself using waze more often and the standard smartphone having more options. Beside losing the bigger screen appears you lose the extended cluster and connected services. Never used connect services before either.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I am in the "its silly to have an expensive car like this without Nav" camp. I dont like seeing a bolt on phone in the vents or windshield on cars like this. What SHOULD happen is we should doc our phones and either car play, android auto or some other solution that mirrors the navigation app of our choice on the NICE BIG screen appears.

I have had loaner BMWs without nav and it not being there really removes much of the premium experience for me.

NOTE: Not having nav means not having the nice big screen, and the ability to have the album art split screen with the map, etc., all of which I use.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am in the "its silly to have an expensive car like this without Nav" camp. I dont like seeing a bolt on phone in the vents or windshield on cars like this. What SHOULD happen is we should doc our phones and either car play, android auto or some other solution that mirrors the navigation app of our choice on the NICE BIG screen appears.

I have had loaner BMWs without nav and it not being there really removes much of the premium experience for me.

NOTE: Not having nav means not having the nice big screen, and the ability to have the album art split screen with the map, etc., all of which I use.
This
I use the traffic info every day. Even though it is on phone apps I like it on my split screen. And like he said, the non-nav small screen looks so cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1.

My Professional NAV with HUD option is awesome and should be the norm IMO. Also steering wheel and BMW Voice command integration help. Expensive BMW map upgrades are expensive but most of you know how to do the upgrade yourself.

Having said all of that I would imagine you wouldn't have to get BMW nav if you have a CarPlay enabled bimmer. Just runs your apple maps that are upgraded everyday for free.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I was in the camp that said "I don't need nav, its a rip off, Waze is so much better, etc." until I got a car with Nav and it is night and day nicer than not having it. Tech doesn't appeal to me because I wear polarized sunglasses so I couldn't see it when I drove a 3 with HUD, but it would be cool at night. Nav gets you the much nicer higher res screen, the extended contents, the split screen capability, and after using the BMW nav for a while now, I don't miss Waze. The routes it comes up with are very similar to what Waze would give me for my commutes to and from work. Just makes the interior a nicer place to be. That maps looks great a night and you have the option of interactive map along with different views, etc. Never have to worry about not having reliable signal with your phone and phone nav and you can preset destination, its voice activated, etc. I would never get another BMW without it

·
Registered
192 Posts
At times I run Waze and BMW side by side. Very much the same routes. Waze will tell you what the problem is and avoid high traffic areas while BMW re-routes as well. For me, it's BMW 90% of the time unless I want to know why I'm being re-routed. And yeah, the whole luxury experience is better with the BMW Nav.

·
Registered
912 Posts
One really nice thing about BMW nav is that you can set a short cut on the dash. I drive to a parking garage in a poorly laid out city that I am not very familiar with (nor do I want to be, it's a Hell-hole). I don't turn on my nav on the way there because I know where I am going. On a few occasions, I got to my exit off of the highway and found it closed. I was able to hit one pre programmed button on my dash, click "guidance" which takes a total of about 5 seconds, and it gets me to the garage.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My E93 has no NAV and no iDrive, either. Can't miss what you don't have. :) That said, I'd get navigation next time around, just because using navigation on phones drains batteries like crazy, and there are some places we go that don't have reliable cellular service, so you lose map coverage when on a phone, but not with built-in Nav. The navigation system is what gives you the extended displays and the larger screen and all of that.

The "tech package" with the HUD does nothing for me. Most cars I've driven in I've just turned it off. I'm tall enough that it just doesn't project to where I need it to be, and I end up looking down so much that it's a distraction more than anything, and doesn't qualify as "keeping eyes on the road". If I'm already looking down so far, might as well just look at the gauges. Muscle memory works just fine. My wife can actually see the HUD, but finds it terribly distracting and hates it too.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
^^ Yeah, save the grand on tech package. I honestly don't understand what the 1000 bucks is for on that. Nav gives you extended display/contents and Nav, so besides HUD, what does tech give you?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just the HUD system, I think. Most of the app stuff and other things that people want (connected office, text message relay?) are tied in with the navigation system. I think the HUD will pop up text messages? Is that true? But I don't want to be reading text messages while I'm driving anyways. HUD is of exactly zero use to me. If it would actually project where I (a taller driver) need to see it, approximately in line with my field of view to the road, I'd consider it. I think there's only one BMW loaner I've ever driven where I could even SEE the HUD projection to begin with, and yes that's with adjusting the position to upper limits on the cars. I can see the limits of where it will display, and it's just not designed for taller drivers. The one car where I could actually see it, it was so low that it still ended up being a heads down display and not any better for me than just looking at gauges.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
^^ Yeah, save the grand on tech package. I honestly don't understand what the 1000 bucks is for on that. Nav gives you extended display/contents and Nav, so besides HUD, what does tech give you?
I think it would help you if you think of having the HUD like having BMW nav vs using your phone.

Its kind of like that difference (so the difference you feel using your phone vs using BMW nav is similar to the difference of having a HUD and getting used to it, and not having one).

I wont get another car without one that I would use as a daily driver.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

That says it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Love Nav + Tech.

Recently spent a week driving an M4 that had Nav but not the HUD. Was much happier when I got back in my car. :)

Points of Interest Online Search just rules. The entire time we were in California it was the only way I entered stuff into Nav. Just sooooooo easy. I drove the car for a year before trying it out. Now I use it all the time. Can't believe how well it works. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Love Nav + Tech.

Recently spent a week driving an M4 that had Nav but not the HUD. Was much happier when I got back in my car. :)

Points of Interest Online Search just rules. The entire time we were in California it was the only way I entered stuff into Nav. Just sooooooo easy. I drove the car for a year before trying it out. Now I use it all the time. Can't believe how well it works. :thumbup:
Points of interest doesn't require tech

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Tech Package is essential for me, love the Nav and the HUD. Killer feature for me is ability to send destinations to the car from the iPhone app in advance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Really happy with the newest i-Drive and Nav+Tech. Of course, BMW fairly typically makes it somewhat difficult to tell the difference between Nav alone and Nav + Tech, other than the HUD, which I also really like. My wife's 228 is only a 2015, and I find the difference in Nav stunning, and look for the HUD!

But, as others have said, you can do most things through BMW Connected with or without the Tech package.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
^^ this is what I am trying to determine, mostly every benefit everyone sites can be had with the navigation option. Besides HUD, what else does tech give you for the extra grand?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Points of interest doesn't require tech
I know. It was just something I wanted to throw out. I didn't use pretty much any of the voice options the first year just because it was so useless in my previous Audi. Always just used the app. Tried PoIOS one night out of desperation. Couldn't believe when it just worked. Perfectly. Crazy. :)

I don't know about the 2017 models but I think tech with mine (2015) tech just added the HUD. Worth every penny to me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts