BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.
I have the navigation system. I want to play a dvd.
Rumor is that if you have your e-brake up. it plays. my car was in park. and the ebrake up.
nothing happen. not even the DVD light came on..

anyone know any hacks. ways to get around it? open it up cut a wire? anything. please let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
No hacks, no tricks, no way.

The DVD slot is for NAV DATA DVD´s ONLY.

DVD is a generic format that can be used for many applications. ONE of them is video. But not every slot with a DVD inscription is a video player.

If you want to watch a DVD on your i-drive monitor you need to have your car equiped with a auxiliary video input (usually only available if you also have the TV tuner (not available in the US)) and then you have to attach an EXTERNAL VIDEO-DVD-Player.

save yourself the trouble and get a complete DVD-Player-Monitor kit. They´re quite cheap nowadays and you could route the sound through the Aux-In connector to your car stereo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
One thing I have noticed is that, when playing a CD, there is a DVD option on the IDrive menu that isn't highlighted. Not sure why that is there but, it's right next to the Highlighted "CD" when you're playing a CD and have the "track wheel" up on the screen. I put a DVD into the CD slot just to see if anything would happen and, of course, nothing did. I also tried one in the DVD slot and, as expected, nothing happened. I'm not sure why this "DVD" is on there but, does anyone know of any different audio formats this could be referring too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,590 Posts
tightie said:
Hey.
I have the navigation system. I want to play a dvd.
Rumor is that if you have your e-brake up. it plays. my car was in park. and the ebrake up.
nothing happen. not even the DVD light came on..

anyone know any hacks. ways to get around it? open it up cut a wire? anything. please let me know.
In Europe you can do that because you can't sue anyone for anything and there are very few people stupid enough to watch a DVD while driving.

In America they had to turn that feature off.

I'd be able to send my kids to grad school off that case . . .

"Ladies and gentlement of the jury, BMW in its zeal to make a few cents off selling you a navigation system told Joe Schmoe it was OK to watch the Heavenly Hooters DVD while plowing into my client. "

But to bypass that lock you need to find an Eastern European car person. They can hack anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
pony_trekker said:
In Europe you can do that because you can't sue anyone for anything and there are very few people stupid enough to watch a DVD while driving.

In America they had to turn that feature off.

I'd be able to send my kids to grad school off that case . . .

"Ladies and gentlement of the jury, BMW in its zeal to make a few cents off selling you a navigation system told Joe Schmoe it was OK to watch the Heavenly Hooters DVD while plowing into my client. "

But to bypass that lock you need to find an Eastern European car person. They can hack anything.
No you can´t.

In Europe you can order a TV Tuner that will only show a picture when the car ist standing still. With earlier versions there were SW hacks or add on boxes that could make the system show the picture while moving. With i-drive noone has found a way jet.

But even with the TV-Option. The slot in the dash is for (Nav-)Data-DVD only. It cannot play video.

The TV-option has a video-Aux in though. You can route a Video-DVD-Player through that to the I-Drive screen. But again, only when the car is not moving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
There should not be a hardware issue. DVD is DVD it is as simple as that. The drive can acess your DVD, but it does not have the software to know what to do with the data it is getting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
Jalli said:
There should not be a hardware issue. DVD is DVD it is as simple as that. The drive can acess your DVD, but it does not have the software to know what to do with the data it is getting.
Probably true.
But very unlikely that someone will be able to modify the i-drive software to the effect that itwill be able to decode video dvd. Most likely the hardware does not even have the computing power to decode the video stream.
So in effect, the DVD slot of the i-drive is only good for nav-data-dvd
 

·
---------
Joined
·
459 Posts
tierfreund said:
Probably true.
So in effect, the DVD slot of the i-drive is only good for nav-data-dvd
I just cannot understand this:
- your CD changer (if you have one) is in the trunk, so if you want to swap CDs you have to get out of the car. Let's say you swap at least one CD once a week since it can store only 6 CDs
- if you have iDrive, there is only one small compartment for coins and small things (not counting glove compartment). So, you need to be quite creative where to store your small items.
- yet somehow, in a very conveniently located area for the driver, there is a DVD slot that takes quite a lot of space. How often is it used? Perhaps once every 5 years :) This setup just doesn't seem to make any sense.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,837 Posts
tightie said:
Hey.
I have the navigation system. I want to play a dvd.
Rumor is that if you have your e-brake up. it plays. my car was in park. and the ebrake up.
nothing happen. not even the DVD light came on..

anyone know any hacks. ways to get around it? open it up cut a wire? anything. please let me know.
Please, please, stay in California, ok? That way I know I will not be anywhere near you when you are watching tv, hmm? :tsk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Greg220 said:
I just cannot understand this:
- your CD changer (if you have one) is in the trunk, so if you want to swap CDs you have to get out of the car. Let's say you swap at least one CD once a week since it can store only 6 CDs
- if you have iDrive, there is only one small compartment for coins and small things (not counting glove compartment). So, you need to be quite creative where to store your small items.
- yet somehow, in a very conveniently located area for the driver, there is a DVD slot that takes quite a lot of space. How often is it used? Perhaps once every 5 years :) This setup just doesn't seem to make any sense.
AGREE!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Jalli said:
There should not be a hardware issue. DVD is DVD it is as simple as that. The drive can acess your DVD, but it does not have the software to know what to do with the data it is getting.
Wrong.

DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disc, it stands for Digital VERSATILE Disc, which means it has several different functions, tierfreund was correct, it's strictly a Data disc, i'm sure there's no hardware for MPEG-2 decoding...
 

·
E90 325i
Joined
·
161 Posts
tightie said:
... open it up cut a wire? anything. please let me know.
Feel free to open it up and cut some wires. It's your car :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
This is not a very useful thing (at least for me), but just in case some didn't know, you can play audio CDs in the DVD slot. So you can have a 2-disc changer if you're not using navigation. Can't imagine it being used this way that much by anyone though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
anon said:
Wrong.

DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disc, it stands for Digital VERSATILE Disc, which means it has several different functions, tierfreund was correct, it's strictly a Data disc, i'm sure there's no hardware for MPEG-2 decoding...
No hardware decoding, but how about software mpeg-2 decoding? Hahha.. wonder what the CPU in the nav system is? Probably not powerful enough to do software mpeg-2 decoding... probably enough to do software mpeg-4 decoding --DivX on your nav unit anybody?

So is it true that idrive is on a winCE platform? I've heard conflicting reports. If it was on linux, we could definitely get some linux junkees together and hack it to add media playing software... how cool would that be?!?? Hahahah.

I've always had plans to add a solid-state computer (computer with no moving parts --i.e. compact flash for a hdd) to my car --maybe the idrive can be adapted to be such a solid state computer.

Or we could just tap into the display lines and add a lil video game auxilary input switch thing and add an external dvd player.

Hahah... I haven't even gotten my E90 yet (it missed the boat yesterday, so still 30ish days) and I'm already imagining all the ways I can try to hack the iDrive...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
xcalibr said:
No hardware decoding, but how about software mpeg-2 decoding? Hahha.. wonder what the CPU in the nav system is? Probably not powerful enough to do software mpeg-2 decoding... probably enough to do software mpeg-4 decoding --DivX on your nav unit anybody?

So is it true that idrive is on a winCE platform? I've heard conflicting reports. If it was on linux, we could definitely get some linux junkees together and hack it to add media playing software... how cool would that be?!?? Hahahah.

I've always had plans to add a solid-state computer (computer with no moving parts --i.e. compact flash for a hdd) to my car --maybe the idrive can be adapted to be such a solid state computer.

Or we could just tap into the display lines and add a lil video game auxilary input switch thing and add an external dvd player.

Hahah... I haven't even gotten my E90 yet (it missed the boat yesterday, so still 30ish days) and I'm already imagining all the ways I can try to hack the iDrive...
I don't think the idrive would have the graphics capability to display mpeg-2 at high quality, it would have to scale it down to the pixel aspect ratio of the idrive screen and run it scaled, smoothly...

on another note, i hear the mac mini is the size of a din slot and people are placing them inside car dashes, and running OSX...? i think someone actually put a mac mini, in a Mini (cooper)...

nice to see people being creative...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Greg220 said:
I just cannot understand this:
- your CD changer (if you have one) is in the trunk, so if you want to swap CDs you have to get out of the car. Let's say you swap at least one CD once a week since it can store only 6 CDs
- if you have iDrive, there is only one small compartment for coins and small things (not counting glove compartment). So, you need to be quite creative where to store your small items.
- yet somehow, in a very conveniently located area for the driver, there is a DVD slot that takes quite a lot of space. How often is it used? Perhaps once every 5 years :) This setup just doesn't seem to make any sense.
Right on! I guess it makes sense that from a hardware standpoint, the best place to put that unit is right in the dash - but come on BMW! - use some creative engineering on the next design iteration.

Within the first day of driving the new 3, my passenger had already begun storing everything - iPod, maps, tourist books, CDs - wherever possible. More often than not this was in the back seat. But it seems there is a lot more potential for storage space. Sigh. (end rant)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Google NAV-TV, kit is $900 next day shipped, comes with 2 AV outputs- DVD, TV $1100, ouch), Valentine radar, or rear back up camera. Works directly on your GPS screen.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top